Old Tecumseh model ID and age ?

Hello all,

See attached pics. Trying to figure out what I have here !!

Had it started but did not run well. Compression seems "wimpy" ( need to properly check ) and gas was drooling out of the carb.

Working on cleaning out the carb for a rebuild kit. Some corrosion pitting challenges inside carb where brass inlet seat seals against it's counterbore face - but not giving up yet !

Carb venturi diameter is 0.436 " at smallest point.

Can post more pics if needed IMG_4665.jpg IMG_4680.jpg IMG_4671.jpg IMG_4672.jpg IMG_4673.jpg

Any ID help appreciated!

excello

Hello all,

Had it started but did not run well. Compression seems "wimpy" ( need to properly check ) and gas was drooling out of the carb.

Working on cleaning out the carb for a rebuild kit. Some corrosion pitting challenges inside carb where brass inlet seat seals against it's counterbore face - but not giving up yet !

Can post more pics if needed View attachment 262330 View attachment 262331 View attachment 262332 View attachment 262333 View attachment 262334

Any ID help appreciated!

excello
I have a few of those vintage motors..It's more Lauson-ish and probably from around the time Tecumseh came into the picture, very early 60's.
No way to tell for sure what HP, but I'll bet its an H22. would have to pull the head and measure..Should have an iron bore too. With the rear shot exhaust they are cool. I'll bet it fires up fine once you get the carb straight.. They seem indestructible...at least to me.. parts are easy to get, just need to look at a littler later H25 on Partstree for your numbers. Also, That tank/shroud is very desirable...nice little motor I'm Jealous!

1971_MB1A

Hello all,

Can post more pics if needed View attachment 262330 View attachment 262331 View attachment 262332 View attachment 262333 View attachment 262334

Any ID help appreciated!

excello
Any idea as to what it was originally on...tiller,reel mower,edger etc? I have what I think is to be around a 1963 ish engine that I think is probably a lauson.

markus

That is an engine made for REO, I think it pre dates Wheel Horse buying them out from Motorwheel corp. probably right on the edge as it was right about 1963 for that. My cross reference book shows an M71 bieng a H22N-2382 The P usually designates the ignition system style which in most cases is a Phelon version. you will problaby have to source old paper parts lists to find repair part numbers.

delray

markus, I don't think it's off a reo. all reo's where painted a blue/teal in that era and when wheel horse bought them out they wet to red.

reo snow throwers.PNG

the side mount tanks where found in the reo's with all the tin covering over them. similar to this picture posted and all the motors had gear reduction setups.
daisy style recoil was a very short lived recoil(early 60's). also found on clintons.
the very first year tecumseh made it with the down tube intake had a float style carb. then after wet with the diaphragm carb.

Thanks for all of your compliments and info gents !! I now know a heckuva lot more than I did !

This engine was acquired in a "bundle" of walk behind garden tractor stuff - it wasn't attached to anything. The garden tractors have their own correct Briggs engines.

My goal was to possibly mount this little Tecumseh on a circa 1947 Hiawatha Doodlebug scooter "project". It would be a nice size to fit that little Doodle bug frame. If this doesn't work out, I have a modern Craftsman / Tec. H35 3.8 hp power washer engine that might get the nod. ( I have questions about that engine conversion also, but will start another thread for that ).

A few more pics attached. I presume the 19-0-54 on the crankcase cover is a part number, and thus another "clue" if I find some old parts lists ?

Thanks again !

! IMG_4676.jpg IMG_4674.jpg IMG_4678.jpg IMG_4670.jpg IMG_4681.jpg

markus

@excello, it was probably on a reel mower or maybe even a little cultivator-if Reo made one at that time. the 19-0-54 is merely a casting number for the that sidecover, it wont do you any good. If your looking for a rebuild kit or part for the carb itself The 10 stamped on it signifies it being a 29910 carb, which I verified in my book as being Correct for for the H22N 2382 specs. I did look up a carb rebuild kit for it since there are not parts lists for that online as well. It is 630752, and that is a number that you can find....I do recommend trying to source an actual OEM Tecumseh kit if possible, the parts are made better given it they are 50 years old, and the needle assembly usually fits an works better on the diaphragm carbs.

I also recommend that you do in fact pull the welch plug out that is under the diaphragm, there is a reservoir in there to the main jet/check ball and a that can collect crap easy and it needs to be cleaned well when rebuilding. Just make sure you only put a welch plug on that one and leave the other open (sometimes the kit comes with enough plugs to them all as they are "universal" to a few different carb body variations. I showed a little info in this thread, it focuses on the 2 versions that were specifically made for Mini bke Tilted application 1968-1971 but the jet setups were the same through the years on them. Its post #10 in that thread where I gave some of the carb info. 1970 h35 rupp sprint engine

Oh yea Here is the REO info, again its right around the 1962/63 age as that is when the Tecumseh engines were transitioning to the thinner shrouds and making ID plate changes, etc... Your has the thinner shrouding/phelan ignition But it s hard to put a an actual date on it since its REO tagged, and most 1962 and earlier Tecumseh engines you cant really date code like you can late 1962 and up anyway. Good luck with your build! IMG_2023.JPG

delray

nice markus, when you said reo motor. I have only ever seen a snowblower and the older light green mowers. never seen a gold one they made or even a brochure on a gold engine/equipment. must of been a very short live motor/color they use. I have seen gold like that but with a sears number on it. must took little research to find that... thumb1.PNG