Older comet torque converter

Hi All,
My first post. I have a question about a comet torque converter plate. I have a 1978 Sears Puddle Jumper (I think). The mini bike has been in my fathers shed since the early eighties with a broken sprocket on the torque converter. I pulled it out and got the motor running, but have not move it yet. The chain does not flow freely around the sprocket on the torque converter. It looks like it is at an angle. As far as I know this Mini bike has never been messed with or wrecked bad enough to damage and
the plate looks in good shape. Is it supposed to have this angle on back? Is this the way older comet torque converters look?

Thanks for your help

Torque Converter Plate2.jpg

Attachments

SAS289

That can't work as it should. You wouldn't want a pulley offset like that in any application.

The crankshaft PTO and the driven shaft need to be parallel.

The chain alignment to the rear sprocket must be way off on that. All that misalignment may be what broke the sprocket on the driven shaft.

Last edited:
Also, not sure how much of that TC you will salvage to go back together with, but be aware that those bikes came with the cat99 tc that uses a 5/8" belt. Not 3/4" on more common comet 30 tc.

Lizardking

Can't tell but if that plate bolts on at an angle to the bike/engine for fitment or whatever then that would explain the odd angle of the shaft. It look like it was made like that for a reason. Head scratcher..

Here is some other angles. I went ahead and ordered a new torque converter kit. I just wanted some other opinions because it did not look damaged or tampered with, buand it did not look right on the bike.
Thanks

TC back.jpg TC side.jpg