OND's - Bonanza - (Vintage Open)

Thanks Tim.....I'm just a old school builder I guess.. :shrug: I'll let you kids have all the fun on these supped up racers !:scooter: _____

Last edited:
New 250mm x 10 shocks (10'' x 3/8'') compared to the regular 12'' mini bike shocks. I kinda like the color of the springs . :biggrin:

Stainless 2'' and 3'' bolts and acorn nuts for the rear shocks...all the bolts are a bit to long and will be cut to fit.

Shocks are going to work.

Rear tire is for mock up only.

Last edited:
Yea I know the felling its been close to 0 here with the wind chill factored in ......Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr . Global warming . :rolleyes: and just a little snow.

Really nice 5'' springs with weld on cups.

Marked off my fork tubes to weld on the cups...3'' at the top and 2'' at the bottom.

I welded the cups from the bottom side, and will have to clean them up a little with a dye grinder. But no welds on the top of the cups, I think it just has a little bit cleaner look to it.

I got the forks done and I think they turned out all right.....and they have plenty of cushion to them.

Went a head and made a couple of 1''1/2 spacers to space the front wheel centered in the forks. I used regular 1/2'' pipe and just cut to fit. Used the dye grinder with a rotary file attached to open up the inside just a smidge.

A pic of Tom and the completed suspension forks.....they seem to work good .

Great job on the forks. Looks pretty kool.:thumbsup:

Thanks Mark and Tom.
This years Build Off doesn't seem to have as many members in it yet.....but there is a lot of great builds going on...that's for sure !
Yesterdays progress:

Got a little time to work on this Bonanza today...got the stainless shock bolts cut and fitted and snugged down with stainless acorn nuts. If you've never bought ss acorn nuts they where about $2.79 a piece..:xmas-smiley-016: Merry Christmas to me ! :laugh:

Also I decided to get the 40+ year jackshaft out, and Oh yea it was stuck good....that's when I decided to get out the big guns,:wink: my BFH ..:laugh:

Not a problem....jack shaft its self is pretty ruff...but usable ..maybe.

On to the neck bushings....and of course they were bad to...really bad. I got new 3/4 x 5/8 bushings from the Local Mom & Pop.

After new bushings...good and tight again .

Oh and one very cool little thing I found on the back side of the neck......a grease fitting ..:eek:hmy: What a great Idea !!

Got a little time to work on this Bonanza today...got the stainless shock bolts cut and fitted and snugged down with stainless acorn nuts. If you've never bought ss acorn nuts they where about $2.79 a piece..:xmas-smiley-016: Merry Christmas to me ! :laugh:

Oh and one very cool little thing I found on the back side of the neck......a grease fitting ..:eek:hmy: What a great Idea !!

Ok... I can see it now! Grease fitting = head stem full of grease.

Then one day on a whim you take it to a little show and park it in the hot August sun... Only to return and see most of that grease has droooooled down the fork across the tire and wheel........ Leaving a puddle of embarrassing grease drool on the ground.

Oh, did I type all that??? I was just thinking it I thought...:lol::lol::lol::thumbsup:

It made me think fondly about my friend that took his newly purchased (at Barrett-Jackson) freshly restored concours correct $250,000.00 1967 Corvette 427/435 horse Roadster to the local car show in the middle of the summer. He was as pleased as punch for having bought that car. Its Tuxedo Black and he had the hard top on it. When he returned the headliner was falling down on the seats..... He said it made him so mad that he jerked it out and threw it in the floor and left....

Thanks for making me think about that as I always get a big laugh out of telling that on him.... He frowns when I mention it.

Doug

Last edited: