one mans junk is another mans gold

oldfatguy

a guy at work was about to toss the drive section of a snow blower into the dumpster at work. We ended up tossing it into the back of my truck instead. He seemed bewildered that anyone would want it . Anyway, I scored a nice hs50 Tecumseh, a 3 speed gear box with reverse, and two nice wheels and tires with chains. The Tecumseh needs a carb but it fired on the first pull with some gas in the plug hole. Best of all was that I got it for my favorite price---FREE. I never pass up a free engine.

rmm727

My father in law drives a garbage truck and he picks up containers during his route. Needless to say, there are lots of awesome things people throw away that end up at my place.

WrenchDad

a guy at work was about to toss the drive section of a snow blower into the dumpster at work. We ended up tossing it into the back of my truck instead. He seemed bewildered that anyone would want it . Anyway, I scored a nice hs50 Tecumseh, a 3 speed gear box with reverse, and two nice wheels and tires with chains. The Tecumseh needs a carb but it fired on the first pull with some gas in the plug hole. Best of all was that I got it for my favorite price---FREE. I never pass up a free engine.
That's awesome there is a lot you can do with free stuff. When I was younger my neighbor got a half a snow blower like you said (the auger hood and chute ) were missing. so he welded a bracket and a snow blade on it like a gravely,worked good. I am currently using a weed eater, push mower and a MTD 2 stage snow blower some one threw out. Cleaned them up fixed any problems with what I had and put them to work without spending a dime.

oldfatguy

same here, most of my snow blowers and lawn mowers were all free. I like the older snow blowers with out the safety levers that you have to hold down. The problem now is I have way too many of them .

joshua. c.

iv gotten so many things for free that people were just throwing out that i lost count. some of the best were: a new looking hardwoold dining room table with the extension leaf, from the dump. over 100$ in hand tools all in a pile on top of the metal pile at the dump. a honda 6.5hp bagger lawn mower with nothing rong with it, from the dump. best mower iv ever used. and a few new looking bicycles from the dump. a cheep air hocky table and mini quad abandond by a frends old tenant. a mini bike that was abandond at my highschools small engines class. and a few small engines. from the dump and junk piles. not to mention the stuff i got from frends and family. my go kart might count as well, the kids i got it from were going to junk it but i offerd them 40$ for it instead. i paid for it so not sure that counts.

oldfatguy

An update,

I put a carb on the hs50 and it runs great. Now I need to find a good use for it.

The one part that I do want to find a use for is the belt driven transmission. It has 3 speeds and reverse. It is chain drive from there to the axle so it could be hooked to a jack shaft. the only problem is the engine would have to sit sideways to connect to the belt pulley on it. I am gathering parts to build a 8hp briggs powered bike with 22x11 tires. So having a bike with a three speed trans with reverse would be cool but will be more workable on a trike or gokart. I'm also kicking around the idea of building a snowplow for this drive section since I don't have the blower part but something to ride would be more fun. It is a nice running engine, I might have to swap the 3hp briggs off of the Arco for a while to try it out.