Open Class- Bad Dog Gigantic (Newbie)

I have taken the bike out for two test rides and the chain broke on both runs. I thought I had it lined up on the drive pulley of the TAV but something is not right. The connecting link came apart both times. Any thoughts?

TM,

The spring clip on one of my chains did not seat to well in the grooves, but seeing as this has happened twice it can't just be the link.
Do you have a pic showing the alignment.
Simple trick i use is a piece of fishing line, hold it against the rear sprocket at the most rear point , then move it forward till it touches the other side of the rear sprocket ( see Pic) This works better than a straight edge as you can have the clutch on the engine and line up up with the smaller sprocket.

Last edited:
TM,

The spring clip on one of my chains did not seat to well in the grooves, but seeing as this has happened twice it can't just be the link.
Do you have a pic showing the alignment.
Simple trick i use is a piece of fishing line, hold it against the rear sprocket at the most rear point , then move it forward till it touches the other side of the rear sprocket ( see Pic) This works better than a straight edge as you can have the clutch on the engine and line up up with the smaller sprocket.

Thanks for the tip. I followed your advice and had better luck. I did a couple of "full power" runs on the bike tonight and the chain was fine.

One more thought:
Wide open throttle + TAV + 9 hp = Wheelie + :laugh:

This bike has some grunt! The top speed is not great but it has an outstanding hole shot.

The Bad Dog project continues....

Today I had a little time so I sanded and primed the frame, painted some engine parts, and treated the aluminum wheels to Shark Skin. The Shark Skin should keep the wheels and fenders looking good. I am going for a military/utility look. The paint is an olive drab and the aluminum will be unpolished but bright.

Resurrecting an old thread.....I just received my Bad Dog Gigantic kit....to make things easy I went with a 10HP Tec...according to Robin this will make things easy so far as my Comet bolting/lining up....

I do have a question....when you put the wheels on did you center them in the forks/frame and then line the engine up, or did you line the rear end up and cut your spacers based on that, and then center the front....Honestly when Robin said everything would line up I assumed (my fault) that he would have "mocked" it all up and cut the spacers....

Not a problem, just not not what I expected....

Hey Guys. Just got a Bad Dog Gigantic.

What did you all end up cutting the spacers to for the wheels? The kit ships with the spacer sleeve, that you need to cut down to size, but i have no idea what's the correct size. Please let me know if you wouldn't mind!

Cheers!