Open Clone Build

Update to this thread since I had the motor dynoed by Brad Hill. Makes a nice solid 20hp across a pretty broad band so I'm happy with it and it will do great on the track.

Yeah I'll likely go back to gas. I only have around 3/4 a gallon of meth left out of a single gallon I bought for the competition. I'm too lazy for the carb flushing/oil changes involved with meth. I normally run oxygenated race fuel though as I can get it locally from a Sunoco dealer.

For those who were wondering here is a complete list of the build:

Block was bored and decked flush
2.815 weiseco piston
.175 stroker and long rod from arc
For around 235cc total
18cc Honda head milled down to 14cc
Around 14:1 compression ratio
28.5 intake/25 exhaust valves
28mm Clements flat slide carb
Dyno was done with methanol/ I normally run Sunoco oxygenated race gas though
Isky 310 cam and billet lifters
1.2 ratio billet rocker arms, non roller
Chromoly pushrods cut to length to maintain proper valve geometry
Dual springs and titanium retainers
.045 fire ring head gasket and head/side cover studs to keep it together
Robertsons loop header

Pull starts no problem
Factory Honda electric starter because I'm too lazy to get out of the kart to pull start it

I think that hit pretty much everything, let me know if I missed anything.

Any other questions please fire away.

New twist, I like that and wished for something like that for years.
If only they made something with a charge coil provision now so you can add a CDI ignition to a race clone.

Don't remember where I saw it, but you can get an MSD CDI kit for the clones. You would still need 12 volt power for it. It's possible there's room to machine out on the arc flywheel for charging coils. Or use a battery. I use a battery that's around 10lbs, rarely have to charge it and it starts every time.

Don't remember where I saw it, but you can get an MSD CDI kit for the clones. You would still need 12 volt power for it. It's possible there's room to machine out on the arc flywheel for charging coils. Or use a battery. I use a battery that's around 10lbs, rarely have to charge it and it starts every time.
I don't know if thats a wise idea machining an ARC flywheel.
No reasoning behind it, just does not sit well with me.

Update to this thread since I had the motor dynoed by Brad Hill. Makes a nice solid 20hp across a pretty broad band so I'm happy with it and it will do great on the track.

The dyno this engine was run on shows lower than most dynos I have seen too.. this is a very good running engine! I would expect it to show 24hp on most dynos..especially shops that bulid a lot of legal stocker clones.

That would put mdb's motor at 32.99 and Barry young at 32.78 assuming we are adding 4 hp across the board !! But there are probably dyno's out there that would put you closer to 30hp too . I think a solid 20 is damn good !!!

The dyno this engine was run on shows lower than most dynos I have seen too.. this is a very good running engine! I would expect it to show 24hp on most dynos..especially shops that bulid a lot of legal stocker clones.
Thanks Barry! I put the engine on the new kart last night so hopefully I'll get to drive it this weekend if it's not too cold.