Ordered rod and flywheel. What’s next?

Hello everyone, my first bike build is finally coming together. I striped it apart to powdercoat it.
I have a K&N type intake, #35 jet, TAV, 2 1/2 foot duel exhaust(for low end torque), 230 - 0211 Marine cam, 26# valve springs, right now it’ll haul *** to 35. I haven’t had it past 47 (@4000-4100RPM)due too tire ballooning.
Today my Flywheel with a 8 degree advance comes in along with my billet rod. Which I will be doing a governor delete.
What’s next? Or what can I do next? It’s a HF 212 hemi.

What do you ultimately want out of the engine?
Not 8k rpm , I’ll build another 212 for that. I considered a 252 cam. But I like my low and midrange torque. What are some other things I can do to squeeze some more horses out of the engine. Port and polish worth the time and effort? I really don’t know. Would using the .008 head gasket help? I have the stock carb on it and it works great. Should I invest in a carb? Or plug and wires? Since I’m changing the rod, should I go with a different pistion? I honestly don’t know, and was hoping for some opinions thrown out my way. I know it’s kinda a silly noob type of question. But I figured I’m posting this to the best bikers out there. I value y’alls opinions :thumbsup:

I would install the rod and flywheel and take it for a ride to see how it feels. Consider upgrading the carb after the fly and rod.

I would install the rod and flywheel and take it for a ride to see how it feels. Consider upgrading the carb after the fly and rod.
If I get a mikuni carburetor, do I need to get a different air filter for it? Or will the old one work? A288584B-AFF8-4015-AFE4-23443A16D05D.jpeg .

Edit: I’d have to redu the throttle too? mikuni carburetors throttle is different. I’d have to buy new jets too?

Last edited:
You will most likely need a new filter but i am not sure of the size you are running now. Mikuni throttle will be different but its easier to setup then stock throttle and throttle feel is 100 times better. Most run the geniune VM22-133 Mikuni with a 15-20 pilot and 125-130 main.

Question!!!!
Other then checking for backlash on the valve springs. Is it worth getting a thinner head gasket? Or is it major mathematics as far as specs and clearance

65ShelbyClone

Just change the gasket and then adjust the valve lash afterward.

Are there ratio rockers for the hemi 212s? Might be another inexpensive mod...

Just change the gasket and then adjust the valve lash afterward.

Are there ratio rockers for the hemi 212s? Might be another inexpensive mod...
C22A17AC-F586-44C4-81CE-8DCDE14446A8.png

I was thinking about using/buying this camp chef over extended duration camshaft I have now. Do I need to worry about coil bind or when should I wonder about coil bind? I am ordering the new carburetor today and probably the new .010 head gasket. As well. And would you have any recommendations besides this, possibly cheaper , as far as a camshaft for high torque that I’m probably going to keep under 6000 RPM because At 4000 RPM it takes me close to 50 mph

65ShelbyClone

A cheaper cam would be one that hasn't been welded. Don't know how long it will last though.

or when should I wonder about coil bind?
It should be checked whenever you increase valve lift (with a cam and/or rockers), install different springs, or do something that reduces the installed height (like shimming the springs).

A cheaper cam would be one that hasn't been welded. Don't know how long it will last though.

It should be checked whenever you increase valve lift (with a cam and/or rockers), install different springs, or do something that reduces the installed height (like shimming the springs).
Hey Shelby, it was a toss up for me. For right now, I just bought a Mikuni carb kit. 2 weeks ago I got the billet flywheel and rod. This weekend I’m installing everything with a governor delete too. I really should of got the MSD wires while I have the flywheel off but I ran outa money lol thank you all for the advice. I’ll probably keep this post alive throughout my engine process.
But everyone’s help was greatly appreciated

I would do some head work now and raise compression. A 3 angle valve job, port and polish and maybe mill the head. I would do head work over a new cam.

I would do some head work now and raise compression. A 3 angle valve job, port and polish and maybe mill the head. I would do head work over a new cam.
I have a Bridgeport here at work, i’d have to take a few passes because I don’t have a bit to cover the entire head but I can do it here. Since I’m putting the bike back together this weekend. I’m going to just try a thinner head gasket and see how that works out. I read somewhere that going with a .010 gasket will take 8.5:1 compression ratio to almost a point. I just realized yesterday that I also have to vent the valve cover too

65ShelbyClone

I really should of got the MSD wires while I have the flywheel off but I ran outa money lol thank you all for the advice.
IMO, plug wire "upgrades" are for those rare times a gearhead has money left over with nothing else to spend it on.

I have a Bridgeport here at work, i’d have to take a few passes because I don’t have a bit to cover the entire head but I can do it here.
If you also have access to a lathe and a hunk of 3" steel round stock, you could make a pretty substantial flycutter. Not really needed for this though; just make overlapping passes and then flat lap the head. Shouldn't need much lapping if the mill spindle is aligned decently.

I’m going to just try a thinner head gasket and see how that works out. I read somewhere that going with a .010 gasket will take 8.5:1 compression ratio to almost a point.
It will go up to something like 9.3:1. Compression is a hard way to gain power power itself, so don't expect more than maybe a 2-3% gain from the gasket.

Shelby, thanks for all the answered questions.
I ran into a huge problem Saturday. When I was installing the rod, it took me awhile to notice but one of the bolts was slightly bent. Very very frustrating night. Right now I have an engine in pieces. I’m waiting on a reply from OldMiniBikes about that order.