Other Fuel Tanks Made From Junk...

Qucifer,

Fill it with water or inert gas like C02. When mechanic are repairing a gas tank in a car they run a hose from the exhaust into the gas tank.

Obviously car has to be running.

pete108

Last edited:
Hey yellow hand, those are some nice looking tanks. I have been tossing ideas around for building a tank for my bike, and that coleman propane tank idea was mentioned to me by someone on this forum, I beleive MDB. My queston for you is how did you render the propane tank safe to cut into and put fire to? I dont want it to blow up in my face.
No that was me, but I'm also worried about cutting into one. They do come in the perfect sizes though. :thumbsup:

65ShelbyClone

You need to pull the schrader valves out and fill the cylinder with water. That will displace all the propane and it will get replaced with air when you drain it. Don't weld on it full of water. As usual, cutting/welding/modifiying fuel vessels of any kind is done solely at your own risk.

I saw a thread on the turbo forums about sumping fuel tanks. A few of them used the water method above (on a big automotive fuel tank) and still nearly blew themselves up. YMMV

I saw a guy use the exhaust from the car into the tank. The hose fell out without him noticing and the car caught fire. The car was a gas VW rabbit, his wife. Needless to say he slept in the dog house for a while. :)

Regarding the water method. After filling it with water I would still fill it with an inert gas while welding but that just me. Say you weld it with a MIG yoiu could use the argon.

Sorry GTO, couldnt remember who it was. I am going to give it a shot. I will cut 2 tanks and TIG weld them together for a decent sized tank.

KB2ROCKET

I have made a tank from two 2 foot long oxygen tanks welded together I still need to weld a filler neck and petcock on the tank to finish it

KB2ROCKET

ive weld mini tanks but ive cut tanks out of cars and i would rather cut a tank that is full of gas then not the fumes are what explode
I can remember repairing gas tanks on lawn tractors we would drain the fuel out then remove the tank then purge it with a running water hose for 3 hours then drain the water out then mount it in a vise with the petcock removed and the cap off ..... guess what happened once we puta flame to it popped and blew flames out the cap and valve hole EVERYTIME ... my point is gas gets in the pours of the metal and cannot be be removed with just water .....
as far as hooking up exhaust to the ulage of a fuel tank well in my opinion thats just stupid (even though I understand the idea behind this dumb idea is to purge the gas fumes out of the tank) the bad part is you may be introducing a source of ignition
please be safe

Cool tank. :thumbsup: I'm still figuring what to use but my neighbor works for sfire extingusher place so I'll probably go that route.
Here's one I did about 5 years ago GTO. I cut the bung out of a Briggs tank and used fuel tank repair epoxy to attatch it to the alum tank. Worked out well and never had a leak or crack. I even put a long bolt through the handle aparatus to keep the "look" of an extinguisher.

Thats cool and looks good. :thumbsup:

The only problem I see with that is if you crash and catch fire, someone might try to help and grab the tank! Hahahahahaha!

65ShelbyClone

If you're only going to use the fiber-wrapped tank for compressed gas as originally intended, then it should work alright. Most of those(compressed air/nitrogen) paintball bottles are the 4500psi variety. Nitrous is stored at less than 2000psi. If you want to modify the bottle, then the fiber wrapping will have to come off unless it's a simple mod like installing a hose barb or fuel valve.

Last edited: