Our Wonderful Postal System

Just read an article this week about how the postal service is losing even more money and shipping less items..

I bought a new fuel pump for my Kohler 20HP vertical recently and below is the tracking.. Started out in KY, it made it to my post office in MI before heading back down south...:D Tracking history below... wonder why they are losing money.. :eek:

Tracking History
August 15, 2019, 1:23 am

Departed USPS Regional Facility
BIRMINGHAM AL DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX
Your item departed our USPS facility in BIRMINGHAM AL DISTRIBUTION CENTER ANNEX on August 15, 2019 at 1:23 am. The item is currently in transit to the destination.
August 14, 2019, 7:22 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility
August 14, 2019, 3:37 am
Arrived at USPS Facility
LINCOLN PARK, MI 48146
August 14, 2019, 2:48 am
DETROIT MI DISTRIBUTION CENTER
August 13, 2019, 10:50 pm
DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
August 13, 2019, 8:05 pm
DETROIT MI DISTRIBUTION CENTER
August 13, 2019, 1:23 pm
Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility
August 13, 2019, 12:34 am
Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility
CINCINNATI OH NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
August 13, 2019, 12:25 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility
CINCINNATI OH NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
August 12, 2019, 11:10 pm
Accepted at USPS Origin Facility
HEBRON, KY 41048
August 12, 2019, 12:52 pm
Shipment Received, Package Acceptance Pending
CINCINNATI, OH 45234
August 11, 2019, 4:26 pm
Shipping Label Created, USPS Awaiting Item
HEBRON, KY 41048

My wife is a retired postal worker...she hates it when I tell people the whole postal service is on one form of a drug or another....speed just isn’t one of them...

Now where is it?. Lol.
Back at my post office.. lol we'll see what happens now..

Tracking History
August 16, 2019, 8:00 am

Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery: Arrival by 8:00pm
LINCOLN PARK, MI 48146
Your item is out for delivery on August 16, 2019 at 8:00 am in LINCOLN PARK, MI 48146.
August 16, 2019, 6:04 am
Arrived at Post Office
LINCOLN PARK, MI 48146
August 16, 2019, 5:20 am
August 15, 2019, 10:11 pm

You just have to love the USPS... They are loosing money because they don't know how to be efficient in my book. And this is a perfect example.

For 20 years I have questioned why we need mail daily unless it is a "special delivery" which would cost more. What difference would it make to you the recipient if you got mail every other day? Half the area gets mail M-W-F and the other half gets it T-T-S. Seems like an extremely simple solution to me. They would need about 2/3 the employees and they would have half the delivery expense. Seems like a great idea to my simple mind..... Years ago we had a PO Box at the local post office and we only went once a week. Never missed a bill payment or anything else. Even if you got mail delivered twice a week it wouldn't change anything on your end.

Here’s the reason I am not a fan-
Our local post office does not deliver mail.
Yup, you heard that right.
The mail is actually delivered from a neighboring town’s post office which adds at least 1 day to the delivery time.
So I often ask to have things shipped UPS or fedex if I need it right away.
People always say “ but why would you want to pay more”?
The reason is because when I pay for 2 day priority, it doesn’t come in 2 days like it would with the other providers.
With USPS I have to pay for next day shipping to get my item in 2 days.

So even though I am “paying more” it actually saves me money in the long run.

Our local post office does not deliver mail.

The mail is actually delivered from a neighboring town’s post office
I have the same deal. Except 2 day mail does actually show up in 2 days. We are so far from the town/post office that we get mail from that my neighbor behind me gets mail from a different town. There is only 1 more house past me that gets mail from the same place that I do. BUT there is an official Post Office less than 1/2 mile from my house that doesn't deliver mail. PO Boxes and drop off but no deliveries. When I search using my Zip Code I get mileage that is 15 miles off. But the little Post Office near me has its own Zip Code and I use it to get accurate distances.

Back at my post office.. lol we'll see what happens now..

Tracking History
August 16, 2019, 8:00 am

Out for Delivery, Expected Delivery: Arrival by 8:00pm
LINCOLN PARK, MI 48146
Your item is out for delivery on August 16, 2019 at 8:00 am in LINCOLN PARK, MI 48146.
August 16, 2019, 6:04 am
Arrived at Post Office
LINCOLN PARK, MI 48146
August 16, 2019, 5:20 am
August 15, 2019, 10:11 pm
Finally arrived yesterday.. that little pump is better travelled than I am this year!

You just have to love the USPS... They are loosing money because they don't know how to be efficient in my book. And this is a perfect example.

For 20 years I have questioned why we need mail daily unless it is a "special delivery" which would cost more. What difference would it make to you the recipient if you got mail every other day? Half the area gets mail M-W-F and the other half gets it T-T-S. Seems like an extremely simple solution to me. They would need about 2/3 the employees and they would have half the delivery expense. Seems like a great idea to my simple mind..... Years ago we had a PO Box at the local post office and we only went once a week. Never missed a bill payment or anything else. Even if you got mail delivered twice a week it wouldn't change anything on your end.
That is sad...
More often than not nowadays I just use Fedex Ground. Much cheaper, and reliable. I do it all online and I can drop/receive at the Fedex/Kinkos center near my work. Works out well.

I actually had a customer service rep tell me Tuesday, while searching for a lost package, that two day shipping really doesn’t mean two days...I asked her to clarify that statement and she hung up on me....$27 an hour...I’d break thumbs for that kind of money...