paint this 60s doodlebug or no?

Im leaning toward paint this thing red again.. the original paint is beat but I do plan on selling it at some point. :eek:ut:
and what kind of seat did this one come with? The seat that came on it wasnt original. The forks need to be straightened out too. It had a tecumseh engine and it was a side popper. The gas tank and bracket look like that exact same red as the frame, did they come like that from the factory? The engine shroud isnt original and its black. Anybody making seats for these?

Attachments

capguncowboy

If the paint was in really good shape, I'd vote to keep it original, but it's not. So, that being said, I say paint it up, but it takes a lot to do it right. With as little as my local shop charges for paint, I'm not sure if I'll ever bother painting one myself again. If you're using spray bomb, it takes about 10 hours spread out over a couple of days to do it right.

The seat wasn't anything fancy, and unless you're a stickler for exactly correct parts, I'd probably just toss on a 19" Azusa seat from OldMiniBikes

I already bought the red and white spray paint and various grit sand paper. Im trying to find the correct tires and a seat from manchester. I sent her a pic of a 63 db seat so I hope she can make it.

capguncowboy

I already bought the red and white spray paint and various grit sand paper. Im trying to find the correct tires and a seat from manchester. I sent her a pic of a 63 db seat so I hope she can make it.
Karen does some awesome work on her seats. I just got a Rupp seat from her that is second to none. Definitely get your seat from her if you can!

buckeye

Welcome to the exclusive Fox owners group.
Nice start.

Looking at it from that pic, are the forks bent? Kinda look like it.

And on the bottom rail by the jackshaft mount is that a frame repair?

Anyway, check those things out.
Find a cheap sandblasted and save you some hearaches.
I have done several bikes by hand. As much enjoyment as I get out of it, sure is a lot easier to drop it off and pick it up ready for final finish.
You are missing some tough parts too.
Chair guard is a real treat to find.
Wheels come up,once in awhile.
Engine, if you are going original may be a tough one.

Otherwise, should be a fun one to play with.
I have 3 Fox models.
No DB though.
Keep us updated.

I have both wheels and the rear has a band brake. Not worried about a chain guard but if I seen one on ebay I would bid on it. The welding by the jackshaft is where a wheel was welded to the frame but I drilled out and ground off what I could after I took the pick. I have a complete engine that came on it but I think the shroud was replaced at some point but the gas tank and bracket look to be the same exact color as the faded frame and the engine is white.

Karen said she needs a measurement to make the seat. This is the seat I want. Thats the exact engine that came on it when I got it. A side popper with that exact gas tank.

Attachments

Last edited:
As Buckeye said, welcome to the Fox Club. There are only a few of us. Do restore the bike and place a want ad here for the back wheel and hub assembly. You never know what you may find. PM me if you are interested in the clutch guards and fenders. I may know someone who can provide what you need. I also may be able to help you and Karen with a seat template. Please do a project log on your bike as you go as it always helps the next guy down the line.

Doc

markus

got quite a project there, Those front forks are not to bad to work with since the inners are actually solid rod, as layed over a set I had was I was surprised that they went back into shape without too much cussing and screaming :laugh:

got them nice and straight, and they still worked correctly even!

I thnk you may be able to get creative with a Manco chainguard and get at least close with some trimming up, they are listed on OldMiniBikes site:

https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/images/product/OMBMANCOCG-3_MEDfile_800_Store.jpg

and if you get that far I have the patterns for the kickstands and replicate them for the small fox bikes. If I have the parts in stock I can build them (usually out of NOS) or I can modify, resize, and rebuild most longer stands if you have one to use as a donor at about half the cost.

Good luck with it :thumbsup:

This is the same as my Dad's DB frame. From that pic those fork tubes look like they are on the wrong sides, the fender bracket mounts are outboard of the tubes it looks like.
Good luck I would love to see what it looks like when done!