Paint

I want to paint my MTD trail flight and wanted to know it this paint would work. II don't know what grit sand paper is recommended ? And I found some paint that I want to know is good paint to use.

For front fork
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...home+depot&hl=en-us&ei=gXsMVuazOcry-AG426vIAw

For the rest of the frame
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...ot&hl=en-us&ei=t3oMVvKbH8q3-AHe57PQBA#reviews
Clear coat
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...X&ved=0CCoQrRJqFQoTCLWVt7H_n8gCFUo9PgoddjcMXg
Please tell me if this will work for a mini bike and what grit sandpaper to use.

buckeye

Prep, prep, prep, til you are sick of prepping. Then prep some more.
I have used that paint. Holds up pretty decent.
Prep, prep, prep..

Looks like it should work ok... besure to always spray a small area to see if the different paints don't have a chemical reaction to each other. Are you priming the bike first ?

Like Tom said above. Prep, prep, prep and more prep. Don't expect the frame to turn out like the caps on the paint cans. Chrome paint never replaces real chrome.

Twid

You got it its all about the prep. Prep prep and prep making sure the primer and paint are compatible you don't want it to blister wipe it down good you don't want any contaminates on it at all. Or you can wire will it and take it to get powder coated that's what I would do. Hope this helps.

rugblaster

I am the last person to follow most rules when painting stuff, especially a mini bike.

But I'm not all that sure about spraying a rattle can gloss base and then topping off with clear. I don't see the point. All the base coat/clear coats I've been around have the base which goes on like primer (dull) and you top coat it with three or so coats of clear.

If I didn't have paint guns and all the equipment, I would go to say a Dodge dealership and choose a system they have for touch ups in spray can form. It would be a true base/clear system. I would strip the frame down to the bare metal, sand it with 320 to 400 and use a self etching primer in a can from any auto body/paint supply company.

Dodge has some killer colors.

Last edited:

rugblaster

Looks like it should work ok... besure to always spray a small area to see if the different paints don't have a chemical reaction to each other. Are you priming the bike first ?
Look at Eric's bike here on the 2015 Build off.........This is a Dodge Viper color (forgot the name of it) and there isn't any reason you could duplicate this paint job yourself. If you want some other color, they can order anything you want. Also, most decent auto paint shops can make up aerosol cans with any color in the catalog.

Thanks RB, and good to see you back on again. Color was Snake Skin Green Pearl 08 to 010 Viper color. All these guys are right tho..prep prep prep..the smoother you make it at first is always the best place to start, I think you will be fine. Good Luck !

Last edited:
I'm wasn't planning to do a primer but should I? And does anybody know what sandpaper grit is best I also didn't know Dodge would do a paint job? Must be pricey do you know how much it costs? My neighbor is a paint chemist or something like that anyways he makes paint and said he could paint it for me in a booth with a sprayer. Or he can match a paint and give me bottles but then I probably would have to do a different color. What do you guys think. Just trying to see what you think what you guys think would work best.

Depends. Are you going to ride it or make it a trailer queen? A rider.... Spray it and forget it... A trailer queen send it out and let a pro do it.

I'm wasn't planning to do a primer but should I? And does anybody know what sandpaper grit is best I also didn't know Dodge would do a paint job? Must be pricey do you know how much it costs? My neighbor is a paint chemist or something like that anyways he makes paint and said he could paint it for me in a booth with a sprayer. Or he can match a paint and give me bottles but then I probably would have to do a different color. What do you guys think. Just trying to see what you think what you guys think would work best.
Yes, prime it and Dodge don't do the painting, just get a spray bomb from them. In the parts department.

I want to paint my MTD trail flight and wanted to know it this paint would work. II don't know what grit sand paper is recommended ? And I found some paint that I want to know is good paint to use.

For front fork
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...home+depot&hl=en-us&ei=gXsMVuazOcry-AG426vIAw

For the rest of the frame
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...ot&hl=en-us&ei=t3oMVvKbH8q3-AHe57PQBA#reviews
Clear coat
https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...X&ved=0CCoQrRJqFQoTCLWVt7H_n8gCFUo9PgoddjcMXg
Please tell me if this will work for a mini bike and what grit sandpaper to use.
Some other things no one mentioned yet with metallic spray paint.

1 - two or three light coats followed by a medium / heavy coat will give you the most reflective properties

2 - if you clear over it a lot of the "shine" will go away.

3 - You can't wet sand the metallic paint without it turning super dull. Chrome turns to flat gray or like raw aluminum. Not a bad color but not chrome. Spray paint that you don't wet sand will not be as durable.

4 - if you don't clear coat it & don't wet sand it DON'T spill any gas on it. It will streak instantly.

Here is some chrome spray can I did

Thanks guys I'm not looking for something crazy just and ok paint job. I will just get the paint from dodge just finished reading the thread about your build rugblaster that was AMAZING. Thanks for the help! Also rugblaster when I bought my frame it was cut through the frame? On one of the pipes. I have no idea why, but do you think I can get it welded back together since your the master welder. I don't have a welder but I have a friend who does. I will post pics up in a sec gotta get on my computer

Here is the pic I can squeeze the frame back together nice and snug. Think it can be welded and have the weld filed down to make it look like it wasn't there? thx again for your help!

Attachments