painting my mini bike

hi I'm thinking about painting my mini bike but I need help how do I take off all the paint and spots of rust I want the frame to look almost new

CarPlayLB

you should consider having it blasted. I have mine sandblasted and they come out nice. You can see if there is any issues that way. Just make sure you don't go to a commercial blaster...they use a lot of pressure! Most powder coat places will blast for you..otherwise get out the paint stripper and the sand paper, flex your muscles and have a stripping party!

Stripping a frame by hand is a lot of work. That's how I did my Taco and it wasn't what I consider "fun". If it has multiple layers of paint it takes even longer. Have it blasted. It's worth it on the time saved alone.

I hand stripped a powdercoated frame once. Never again shall I put myself through that! I would get it blasted, I am getting my bike blasted and powdercoated :thumbsup:

I hand stripped a db30 frame. That will be the last time I do that. :doah:
A lot of wire wheels and propane bottles later I wish I would have just had it blasted.
With that said if it is a vintage frame it might be a little easier. I've had luck just using the wire wheel on the drill or grinder. Kinda flys right off. Depending on condition and amount of layers.

capguncowboy

I stripped a Fox Sprite frame using an orbital sander and wire wheels. Nope, not going to do that again.

I stripped my 70 Rupp Roadster using chemical stripper, then cleaned it up with a wire wheel. Worked great, but still wasn't easy -- but it only cost a few bucks.

If you have or need for,or have room for, or have a friend with,or can afford a larger size compressor a sand blaster is cheap. The compressor is the investment. Once you have that the painting and tools get pretty cheap compared to electric tools. Put an add on Craig's list. I would do it for a box of blasting media.

Well I got two compressors. They are not HUGE but one I think goes to 120 or 160psi. Pretty sure it is 120.
Psi doesn't matter. You need a compressor large enough to deliver the CFM required by the sand blaster. They require a large constant volume of air to operate.

I sandblasted my Manco frame in my driveway. I bought the blaster for 50 bucks at Eastwood and picked up the grit at home depot. Actual blasting took about an hour for the frame and fork.

Biffmini

i use a grinder with wire wheel. its loud its messy its kinda dangerous. But it works good pretty quick and easy. Full face shield is a must
This is also my preference& a little hand scraping with chisel,screwdriver or what ever works in the tight spots & some hand sanding.
Work for me! A heat gun & putty knife works to use a respirator!!!