PAP's - Renegade - (Anything Goes)

My machine has a conversational controller and will read *.dxf and *.m files. No matter what cam software is used, you still need the post processor. I can't see spending a lot of money on cad/cam software and more time to learn it, when my "gray matter" software seems to be working. No doubt down the road I will get caught up to 20th century technology.....:doah:
The app I have is DeltaCad and it also saves as *.dxf. I bought it for 40 bucks. Simple and pretty basic application. I had no need for a more robust app.

Regarding your profession--I had the pleasure of working for a time with the techs, scientists and engineers at Naval Surface Weapons Center-Dahlgren. These folks worked with our students at my middle school where I was principal. What these guys did in their spare time was absolutely amazing not to mention the weaponry were building and testing. The electromagnetic "Rail Gun" just blew my mind. Hobbies ranged from gunsmith-ing to full-on restorations of classic cars to intricate machine modeling.

My hands are usually dirty.....but we could have a beer, or two, or three.:drinkup:
I didn't get a whole bunch done last week, I got sidetracked with jobs that pay the bills. I did get my seat back from me dear old mudder, and then there was this itch I had to scratch. Although I do plan to make one from billet, I had to bling up this ugly valve cover.

Cast aluminum doesn't polish up as well as 6061, but it still beats that raw casting look.

Whilst I was waiting for some super secret material for my T/C cover, I managed to get a chain guard fabbed up.

I also started on the gas tank mods, but ran out of duraglass. I'll get some pics of that up later this week.

The more I looked at this tank, I kept thinking that it looked like something else, but out of place. Then it hit me........It looks like a DUCK DECOY!

The first thing I did was to lower the fill neck about 1/2", just to get rid of the duck's head. The next thing was to come up with a "bottom so to speak, to fill it out. I tried one idea that I didn't quite like because it was too thick.

I then commenced to plan"B". I started with a wood buck and covered it with fiberglass resin and cloth and started shaping from there.

With the addition of the "perch belly", it will look more like a sportster tank.

Right now it's on it's final coat of filler, and I should have it ready by this week. Still waiting on some components for the T/C cover.......wait till you see that!

The more I looked at this tank, I kept thinking that it looked like something else, but out of place. Then it hit me........It looks like a DUCK DECOY!
Never thought about it but you are right about it now that you point it out... The only thing missing was the mallard head that they make for trailer balls.

It looks so much better down over the backbone instead of just sitting on top of it. The filler neck alone is a huge improvement.

Have you thought about taking the "waterline" off?????? Would really make it slick then. :shrug: :grind: :weld:

Last edited:
Hmmmmm. Where do you get those Mallard head trailer hitch ball covers? I have a decoy shaped tank on one of my builds. The rubber head might look good on it :)

Danford1

Never thought about it but you are right about it now that you point it out... The only thing missing was the mallard head that they make for trailer balls.

It looks so much better down over the backbone instead of just sitting on top of it. The filler neck alone is a huge improvement.

Have you thought about taking the "waterline" off?????? Would really make it slick then. :shrug: :grind: :weld:
I'd love to get rid of the "waterline", but that's where the top and bottom are sonically welded together. Taking that off will produce 2 pieces...:thumbdown:

I'd love to get rid of the "waterline", but that's where the top and bottom are sonically welded together. Taking that off will produce 2 pieces...:thumbdown:
And :weld: makes it one smooth piece again..... :thumbsup:

Not as hard as you think.... I have taken the seam out of the hood of a 53 Chevrolet 3100 pickup 12 inches at a time. Now that's a challenge.

Doug

:laugh: made me think original tank looks like moby dick w that rim in front looks like lips and the top blohole .. hehehe..nice work ofcourse:thumbsup: amazing

I'm sure whatever you do will turn out spectacular PAP, you rank as one of the best when it comes to creativity and skill on this site. :bowdown:

Last edited:
And :weld: makes it one smooth piece again..... :thumbsup:

Not as hard as you think.... I have taken the seam out of the hood of a 53 Chevrolet 3100 pickup 12 inches at a time. Now that's a challenge.

Doug
The hood on '53 Chevy has metal probably twice as thick as this chinese gas tank.:smile: