Penny clutch

Lizardking

I was talking to a co-worker the other day and we got to talking mini bikes. He told me some stories of his mini bike days then he told me about the penny in the clutch trick. He said when the clutch didn't grab anymore they would put a penny in the clutch, lift up the rear wheel and pull started the engine and jumped on held on . He said the bike got away from him once and chased it till it crashed. That's a good trick to use in a pinch. Anybody heard of this? Any other tricks?

Lizardking

That brings back memories. In the 60s , I remember doing that when my pull rope broke. We’d stick something in there push start it and then lift the back up and kick the penny or whatever we used out. Sure beat walking it home!
That feeling you get when something breaks down but you MacGyver your way home. Priceless.....
A penny is good for broken pull ropes too!

Last edited:

Broke Joke

When I was a kid, I was not strong enough to pull start my minibike by myself. My parents did not want me riding when they were not home, but I figured out if I put a couple nails in the clutch it would lock up and I could push start my bike....the nails would fly out and I was gone!!