pep boys black friday doodlebug

delray

thats funny kbs8ball. you have to ride one and see how much of a real pooch it is. take look at that rear sprocket. it's way to small for that bike and engine to push anything.
when you give it gas it kind of sound like it said's something wong:chinese:

Frank Bullitt, makesure you have the sprocket center before drilling or it will be out of round:eek:ut:
:scooter:...*....*.....something wong with this bike:chinese:

You can use a machinist's compass and protractor to center the new sprocket holes before you drill...

The compass finds the distance from centerpoint...it'll mark a circle on the sprocket that is centered, and the same circumference as the mounting bolt pattern...

The protractor divides the circle into the degree pattern of the bolt holes to be drilled...

I dunno guys, we got 2 doodlebugs a few months ago, 1 for my son and 1 to keep up with him, LOL. He weighs about 85 lbs. and it does about 27 MPH which is pretty good for him. For us (my brother and I) its not tooo bad, but we both weigh upwards of 350, so it just wasn't enough. We've since gotten a 7 hp subie on ours and we have a TAV in the mail. With the subie on it, it'll pull about 35 MPH, again, it's not real fast, but for someone of our size, its almost scary. I hadn't been on a mini in probably 25 years, and these things are for sure, great starter bikes. Just, after you get used to it, you'll definitely want more.

I was working on the thing today and adjusted the chain tension. I made sure the brake was adjusted properly and messed with the thing for maybe 30mins and the thing would not adjust properly. So I took it all apart and found that one of the pins that alow the caliper to float was crossthreaded in the bracket on the caliper making the thing all crooked and not even have the full surface of the pad on the rotor! Hopefully a helicoil will work or maybe not even bother and just try to get a new part from the manufacturer. Or just buy one if they are cheap enough and not have to sit around and deal with baja motorsports. sure would be cool if pep boys carried parts for these though.

delray

gto,minibike seem to work the best when i change the rear sprocket. the exhaust may have help little.
bike is kind of weird. if you are a kid and only weigh about #70 or so and still have the factory sprocket on it . the bike will reach about 24-27mph on flat pave ground. now if you are adult riding it. the bike will take off slow and start to shake real bad until you get it up to top speed and then the clutch will lock good (engage) and then the shake go's away. when installing a lower gear the shake almost completly go's away because the clutch can now lock up sooner and allowing it to perform better too.
Frank Bullitt,i purchase a new blank 80tt sprocket with only a 1/2 hole in the center of it. on the doodle bug rear hub wheel. the sprocket must fit over it. this is what centers the sprocket. you can't just drill it out. you will need to machine this out. this will keep it from being out of round:eek:ut:. the 6 bolt holes can be machine out too or just drill out buy hand. sorry i didn't give you more detail on this:doah:

its ok i kinda knew how it would have to be done just wish i had the tools to machine stuff like say a bridgeport or a CNC plasma of course than i could just make a sprocket from scratch. i need to figure out some lowbuck mickey mouse way of doing it but not be a out of round piece of crap. i dont like the clown car wobbly look.
Where did you get your sprocket?

Last edited:
Wouldn't an 80t sproket be even bigger than the stock 65t sproket?? I'd be afraid of it being too big and dragging the ground around a turn or hitting a decent sized bump. Where do you find them?

delray

gto, where can you buy a sprocket with a larger hole and is it the same size as the original sprocket. the original size is about 1&1/2inch. most aftermarket sprockets are much larger, 2inch or so? this will interfere with the bolt pattern.
i purchase my sprocket from motion industries ($14). https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mi/index.jsp
are company has account with them,so i save little money ($1+) anyone can still walk in and purchase from them. there locations are all over US.
my sprocket as no problems clearing things. i only ride on flat grass and pavement. the other options you could do is a weld on jackshaft and if you can't weld or don't want to weld on your new painted frame. you could go with a bolt on jackshaft. the side cover for the engine has the 4 bolt pattern on it.
:scooter:.............:thumbsup:

delray

also,problem that you may run into with weld on jackshafts is that you may have to reverse the rear sprocket and brake.(to much work for some?)

bolt up jackshafts would still work,but you would have to loose the factory chain cover?
easyway for me was to put a larger sprocket on it. bike is not gear right from factory and is really built for kids to ride only.

I found an 84 tooth sprocket but it wasnt normal looking wouldnt happen to know which one you ordered? I dont think they will just sell me a sprocket will they?

gto, where can you buy a sprocket with a larger hole and is it the same size as the original sprocket. the original size is about 1&1/2inch. most aftermarket sprockets are much larger, 2inch or so? this will interfere with the bolt pattern.
i purchase my sprocket from motion industries ($14). https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mi/index.jsp
are company has account with them,so i save little money ($1+) anyone can still walk in and purchase from them. there locations are all over US.
my sprocket as no problems clearing things. i only ride on flat grass and pavement. the other options you could do is a weld on jackshaft and if you can't weld or don't want to weld on your new painted frame. you could go with a bolt on jackshaft. the side cover for the engine has the 4 bolt pattern on it.
:scooter:.............:thumbsup:
How close id the bolt pattern to the axle? To save the pain milling the middle,, One could use a 2" hole sprocket and bolt it to the original sprocket then move the clutch out a hair to align the chain.

delray

Frank Bullitt, i don't have the part number off-hand,but you could always call them or stop by a motion industries if you have one close by? don't get the 84tt it will be to big and it could bottom out? the sprocket is made buy martin. sprockets, gears, sheaves, bushings, couplings, idlers, drag conveyors, screw conveyors, bucket elevators, industrial hand tools, forgings.
gto i think it would be more work modifly it like you said. also would have to move the chain cover out and the roller chain tenser. the chain tenser bracket is welded on

delray

oldman, if you go inside the sprocket then the chain won't line up with the clutch unit very well? and still need to modifly the roller and you still have to have the new sprocket center with the old sprocket if it did work. also you start to get kind of close to the tire. you better off doing it the right way,so everthing lines up good:thumbsup: or you could be fighting with bunch of problems
:scooter:..........