Piston Ring Headache

1stBxMopar

I have a 1969 Tecumseh H30 on the bench that I am in the process of rebuilding. After a parts search and making sure the cylinder was within spec, the last thing I was waiting for was an NOS std. piston ring set that I found on ebay. So when they arrived today I was happy that I could go forward with the rebuild. Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and found 3 different size rings. Obviously the box and rings are not the same ones that were pictured in the listing. The seller has 100% feedback rating so hopefully they make it right and either refund or send me the correct rings. It's not an expensive item, but the setbacks waiting on parts is annoying....

Attachments

125ccCrazy

Have you fit each one in the bore and check the end gaps? I have come across this as well, without tension on the rings one may expand more than the other due to material hardness, width difference etc.it's pretty common with Tec rings. It's also common for the gaps to be all over the chart between rings on Tecs, not sure why but I have had this issue quite often on Big Blocks..I try to find .010 rings when I can and file fit them..

Last edited:

1stBxMopar

Have you fit each one in the bore and check the end gaps? I have come across this as well, without tension on the rings one may expand more than the other due to material hardness, width difference etc.it's pretty common with Tec rings. It's also common for the gaps to be all over the chart between rings on Tecs, not sure why but I have had this issue quite often on Big Blocks..I try to find .010 rings when I can and file fit them..
Yeah, I have checked, the H30 is a 2 5/16" bore and one ring in the set is way to large, apparently for possibly a 2 1/2" bore, not even close.
Just a frustrating setback, I contacted the seller and they're gonna send out another set tomorrow...So hopefully in a few days I can get this motor back together, it's on my bench too long now..