Popular Mechanics Plans Homebuilt

Picked up a cool old homebuilt minibike. It was built by a guy's father in about 1952 or so from plans in Popular Mechanics or Mechanix Illustrated. It has fenders made from sections of old canvas fire hose. He didn't think the motor was original to the build, but it is pretty old also. To be honest, I'm at a loss of what to do with it. My first instinct is to just leave it alone, preserve it for what it is. It is FUGLY, been painted by several generations of kids.

1stlegendtx

Definitely different. I would leave it alone for a while anyway. Every time I see one of your posts I think You better get your bikes out of Public Storage fast. Sooner or later they will be stolen.:doah:

Definitely different. I would leave it alone for a while anyway. Every time I see one of your posts I think You better get your bikes out of Public Storage fast. Sooner or later they will be stolen.
Me too! If you notice, I wheel them down and take the pictures in front of other peoples' storage lockers. I make sure I close the door when I can, too many looky Lou's. I don't mind talking to people, I have actually gotten a couple of good leads from it, but it gets damned hard to work on anything, especially on weekends. Sooner or later I will return home, but right now I'll keep working out of the storage unit. I live in a floating house on the Columbia river, so if I drop a wrench or part, its in 30' of water.:crying:

The outer pulley is part of the drive, the inner pulley is the brake. It doesn't have a belt on it and the clutch is wrong. I have the correct drive clutch for it, a V-Max, in a box somewhere. I'll need to fab up an idler pulley for it. I also need to take another picture or two to show what I'm babbling about.