powder coat help

FastKat

Hi All,
I finally have my PakJak frame and forks all sandblasted and ground down. My question to you is, what primer can I use that is happy with a powder coat process. I do want to protect the bare metal from rust till I powder coat but I don't wish to impede the process and have to remove it all before sending out. Thankfully I do live in Phoenix and currently I do believe that our humidity index is below zero, the moisture is actually sucked out of the air. As of this post, it it a chilly 104 outside.

Also, is there a body putty, bondo type product I can use to fill small scratches in the metal frame?

also, any leads on good powder coaters here in Phoenix, Az,

no primer, anything has to be blasted off for the powder to stick.
if you want to fill pits and scratches, use jb weld original formula in the red and white tubes, it fills nicely, sand easily and handles the bake cycle the powder needs.

no primer, anything has to be blasted off for the powder to stick.
if you want to fill pits and scratches, use jb weld original formula in the red and white tubes, it fills nicely, sand easily and handles the bake cycle the powder needs.
I think he's wanting to protect the bare metal from rust/oxidation in the waiting time between now and powder. I've wondered the same thing as well. If you bring a rusty frame to a powder coater, do yall take care of removing/sandblasting the rust off, or does it have to be brought in bare metal freshly sandblasted?

I think he's wanting to protect the bare metal from rust/oxidation in the waiting time between now and powder. I've wondered the same thing as well. If you bring a rusty frame to a powder coater, do yall take care of removing/sandblasting the rust off, or does it have to be brought in bare metal freshly sandblasted?
we provide blasting service as well,
if he blasts it and it sits for a week around here, it gets surface flash rust, but its still way easier to clean up with a little blasting so I price it accordingly. He is in a dry area, he should be fine blasting and then taking it in a bit later, the coater I am sure will discount since it wont be as much work no matter how you look at it.

Bruceo

you could you oil it up good so it doesn't rust and before you bring it to the powder coater,give it a good paint thinner bath? i know oil and paint doesn't mix,but a good thinner bath or prep sol bath should get all the oil off.

you could also buy a roll of shrink wrap, I wrap a lot of parts I know I won't use for many months in it and then put inside the house somewhere. It's tedious to wrap every inch of the frame, but would be worth keeping it rust-free.

you could you oil it up good so it doesn't rust and before you bring it to the powder coater,give it a good paint thinner bath? i know oil and paint doesn't mix,but a good thinner bath or prep sol bath should get all the oil off.
noooooooooooooooooooooooo you will never get all the oil out of the pores and the seams, even after blasting it all off, it will still come out during prebake stage and then oooz and oooz.

69h1

I just spent about 3 hours today getting my 69' Bonanza frame and forks ready to take to the powder coaters tomorrow. I hand filed out the nicks and scratches in the metal with fine file and then sanded the very fine file marks out with 80 grit sand paper. It came out very nice and no filler of any kind needed. I always wrap any bare metal parts in a plastic bag and tie it up tightly. You could use a large plastic bag for the frame to keep moisture out. I am in California so I don't really have to worry too much about humidity though.

Bruceo

noooooooooooooooooooooooo you will never get all the oil out of the pores and the seams, even after blasting it all off, it will still come out during prebake stage and then oooz and oooz.
Never thought about the baking part. We don't do powder coating.but i know on alot of old vintage bikes we do, they come to us blasted and oiled down,we have to hang the parts and literally bath them in Prep Sol or thinner .blow dry them,then do it again.time we're done there isn't any oil on them.i'm sure with baking it would bring out things we're not used to seeing. ok ,scratch the oil..lol

i'm sure with baking it would bring out things we're not used to seeing. ok ,scratch the oil..lol
I just learned something. :thumbsup:

My bare metal never rusts here in AZ, but if I were concerned with it, I'd fog on a light coat of etching primer (rattle can) after metal finishing.

I've had good luck with that when I have a frame sit for a few months before I get around to painting it. :shrug:

I'm just down the road from you in centralish PHX. I've kept a bar metal frame in the garage for about a year with no rust. I plan on powdercoating it eventually and will have it blasted prior. I think you'd be fine as long as you don't leave it outside.

Thanks for the input on this. I think I'll just leave it in bare metal, I was a bit concerned about the monsoons coming up but they won't put enough moisture in the air to worry about. It won't be bare for very long, I've begun welding in the tubes that were cut off the bottom and some tabs needed for side panel mounts. I'm working this week on saddle bag style mounts for a pair of Army amo boxes that will be on the rear.
Thanks again for the input.