Powell Challenger 154-24

This is a project that I'm sure will span a few years due to the complexity of it and its condition. With that said I believe it will be worth the effort in the end due to the previous owner and its rarity.
Please feel free to post your comments or remarks as well as photos you might find helpfully in the completion of this classic Powell Challenger.

This is what it looked like when I received it a few weeks ago.

As of 07-12-11

Both down tubes damaged beyond repair replacing with parts aquired from the Sacrificial Lamb:doah:

Sacrificial Lamb Powell Challenger 2899-D

Last edited:
Looks like a lot of :hammer::grind::censure::weld::nuke::helpsmilie: and tons of elbow grease. Going to be worth it when it's done but please loose the white wall's
Steve :scooter:

Looks like a lot of :hammer::grind::censure::weld::nuke::helpsmilie: and tons of elbow grease. Going to be worth it when it's done but please loose the white wall's Steve :scooter:
Thanks Steve
Believe me its taken days to get it to this point.. :laugh: White wall I was going to keep that.:doah:
Got:
General Jumbo Jr front and rear :thumbsup:

1stlegendtx

My Powell had that same piece of metal welded to the frame at the top near the fork yoke when I got it.. weird.:shrug:
I guess my piece of metal is bigger but similar.

My Powell had that same piece of metal welded to the frame at the top near the fork yoke when I got it.. weird.:shrug:
I guess my piece of metal is bigger but similar.
1stlegendtx
That is weird mine came from up North in Oregon..
I wonder if the same person owned them both?
Either that or someone brought these back to the Powell factory and had them beefed up?

Take a break come up bring some good beer we will blast it weld it up and get it in primer... :drinkup::scared::scared:

Jeff
Thanks for the offer believe me if you lived a bit closer I'd bring over a case of beer and we'd get busy.. Hell I'd probably set up a tent in your backyard..:laugh:

The more I see those bikes the more I fall in love with them...I've never seen one in person though.

Toomanytoys
One can never have enough toys with that said I have more then my share of Powell's so if you ever do decide to join the brotherhood..let me know and I'm sure we can work out something.:thumbsup:

Bayarea,
Here are a couple of pics of the kickstand area you were asking about. Hope they help. Looks fairly similar from what I can see.
Quite an undertaking but will be worth it.
Gotta love that whitewall!!!!!!!!

Need any other pics from a straight bar just let me know.

Bayarea,
Here are a couple of pics of the kickstand area you were asking about. Hope they help. Looks fairly similar from what I can see.
Quite an undertaking but will be worth it.
Gotta love that whitewall!!!!!!!!

Need any other pics from a straight bar just let me know.
Dave
As usual you came through like a CHAMP!!
Thank you for all the GREAT pictures there definitely helping me solve the riddles on this project without them I seriously doubt it would be possible!
My hope is that one day 154-24 will look as nice as its older brother 148-18:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Oh one last thing if you want the Whitewall its yours!!:laugh:

I kinda dig that white wall in the front.. that would make a pretty cool rat bike project.. but I guess because of its rarity, bringing this beauty back to its natural form would be a better idea.

-GC-

I kinda dig that white wall in the front.. that would make a pretty cool rat bike project.. but I guess because of its rarity, bringing this beauty back to its natural form would be a better idea.-GC-
-GC-
:doah: The whitewall HAS ta go!! :grind:

Don't you already have like 3 projects going on already???
What R U keepin tabs on me? :001_tt2::hammer:
More like 5 or 6 I keep inchin along though.
Bryan you'll probably be my age by the time there all done:doah:

Well it has been a few months.. I have been working on getting the 4HP Briggs back into shape..
When I got the frame the engine was missing but it came with this 4HP in need of a Lil TLC..
Here's the before:

After: disassembling and some stripping of the white paint.

A SPECIAL thanks to Scott and his brother Brian for the AWESOME job fabricating the shifter.
And also to OldMiniBikes member Bill Siples who graciously lent me the shifter off of his early Challenger..
There is still much to do on the motor but was so excited with the progress I just had to post.

Thanks All for the kind words.
I really appreciate it..:thumbsup:
This bike has been a labor of love.. It has been slow going but I'm excited and hope to have the motor completly painted and assembled within the next few weeks..
I'm dying to see what it looks like mounted on the bike..
Will update asap.
Don