Powell challenger Decals????

markus

checking before I reinvent the wheel, did anyone ever do anything close to the late model challenger chainguard decals like the one that on my '72 MO :shrug:

I took photos as best I could along with a ruler while it was still on the guard and heated and peeled it off yesterday before we too the frame and parts to our powdercoater in case I have to make something. They made a phantom 5 at the same time and have seen it referenced on an MO stamped frame so I could do that as well (think thats an oval decal) as I am considering using a 5 instead of a 3.5 for it anyway.

thanks

That's the same decal that's on mine. I found a guy that claims he can re print that metal type Powell decal but we need to know the original colors. From the picture, it looks like it might have the same blue as the color of your bike, correct?

Heres a shot of mine:

100_1631 1.jpg

Hoping someone remembers these.

Airman, heres a pic of a Powell with your color and this decal is hard to see but it looks like its silver and red lettering...closest thing I could find.

Oh yeah !!! That's just what the doctor ordered. Thanks !!

From trying to focus on the pic of the green H model, it looks like it has a red border, blue "Challenger" lettering. And from your next picture, it seems the company name and address.....might..... be blue also.

Now I have something to take to the guy I know who re-pops decals.

markus

Airman, I took a bunch of up close photos of that decal that was on mine in the first pic before I peeled it off If. Its still really hard to decifer becuase it was so worn and faded unfortunately, but if you want them I pm me your email addy and will forward them to you and maybe they can help some.

Airman, I took a bunch of up close photos of that decal that was on mine in the first pic before I peeled it off If. Its still really hard to decifer becuase it was so worn and faded unfortunately, but if you want them I pm me your email addy and will forward them to you and maybe they can help some.
I took the decal to the placard maker along with your original photos. Thanks for them, by the way.

He said to remake an original type decal out of metal was akin to stamping a coin, and it would be mighty expensive to make a run of textured metal decals. He said they used to do it that way years ago when they made things in America, but those who can make a decal like this are getting harder to find. Maybe they are in china now?

But, he said he could remake it in a look alike vinyl type decal that would look very close but not be made of the metal with raised ridges like the original. I told him to give it a shot, so we shall see..........

Last edited:
Can I ask where you got that picture?

Just so you know, I copied the image and sent it on to the guy who make custom decals in my area. I'm trying to get a few made. It's the clearest I have seen so far, but the corners don't seem symmetrical, almost like the picture was taken at an angle. Right?

But anyway, according to the decal maker, those type of foil embossed decals are super expensive to make as they were made on some sort of die, just like a coin would be made. And there are almost no one that does it anymore. If he were to copy it, the decal would be on a chrome vinyl.

We'll see.

Can I ask where you got that picture?

Just so you know, I copied the image and sent it on to the guy who make custom decals in my area. I'm trying to get a few made. It's the clearest I have seen so far, but the corners don't seem symmetrical, almost like the picture was taken at an angle. Right?

But anyway, according to the decal maker, those type of foil embossed decals are super expensive to make as they were made on some sort of die, just like a coin would be made. And there are almost no one that does it anymore. If he were to copy it, the decal would be on a chrome vinyl.

We'll see.
Lets just say I have a friend who has an original.. Here's a 300dpi scan Image.jpg

Now that is a good one!! It looks like it hasn't been peeled off yet. That is original.

I call the decal guy and see if he wants to see it.

Thanks, so much !!