Powell Challenger Project

ltack

This is my Powell Challenger Project. The stock spark arrestor is missing and there is a weld over the area of the serial #. I'm hoping to grind it down and ressurrect the #. The forks have a nut and bolt on the top of each fork and don't know if this is stock or some kind of modification.

Hello Andy
Welcome to OldMiniBikes
Judging from the frame style and the two nuts at the top triple tree you could possibly have a model B Powell Challenger.. Great find!!

Nice find Andy , my brother has a B model like yours and i have a D model and my older brother has 2 E models and a custom built H model . I f you need any help with it just ask.

ltack

Thank you all for your responses. Question...The front frame tubes that sweep down to the foot boards each have a piece of flat steel welded to them, I am sure to protect the frame. Am I right in assuming these are not stock and should be groud off? Thx for any help.

I can tell you they are not supposed to be there . But i can also tell you why they are probably there . Your model bike sits so low that the tubes get ground down from scraping on stuff . My brothers B model was the same the down tubes were wore completely though. It is one of the draw backs of have a B model , they sit low .

Andy
David is correct..
Removing them may open a can of worms.. Should there be damage to the frame it might mean having to replace sections with new tubing.. as seen in a recent restoration project..

Last edited:
Another question, my bike has a 1967 B&S 5hp white in color; would this be the correct engine(likely original)for my bike? It looks like most have a copper engine.

Another question, my bike has a 1967 B&S 5hp white in color; would this be the correct engine(likely original)for my bike? It looks like most have a copper engine.
Andy
If your Powell is indeed a Model B
Then the 1967 Briggs would be the correct year for your bike..
I have yet to see a white colored briggs on a Powell but this doesn't matter much as the color can easily be corrected..

Have you had any luck locating the serial number for your bike?

Not yet, I'm thinking I will have to grind it and then use some acid to see if it will bring out the number. I very well may be unsucessful.....