Powell Challenger, Serial #1331-A

Hello. I am trying to determine what color my Powell Challenger was originally. I am not sure if it's a challenger model or not. The paint looks orange, but there's a color underneath which looks red, or is it primer. The rear pulley looks red, engine stick shift looks red, brake is black over orange or red? Check out my posted pictures.

Thanks
Robert

george3

Hello. I am trying to determine what color my Powell Challenger was originally. I am not sure if it's a challenger model or not. The paint looks orange, but there's a color underneath which looks red, or is it primer. The rear pulley looks red, engine stick shift looks red, brake is black over orange or red? Check out my posted pictures.

Thanks
Robert
Red. looks like a 67 or there about wrong engine the engine is a later model

Powell Challanger

Ive got a Powell I bought on Ebay maybe 7 or 8 years ago. I was going to restore it for my kids. Well they are wanting a Truck now. I never did a thing to it. It ran when I got it. It has a newer Briggs Engine. I found an old 5 horse Briggs with the brownish/tan color and original stickers to put in it. From what I can tell it does not have the original gear shifter thing. Probably not original throttle either. Seat is not that square upolstry that you see on vintage pic. Close but not perfect in shape. Perfect in no rips.

Touch base if a collector needs to add it to collection.

Ive got a Powell I was going to restore. It looks as if it has every bit as many of the original parts as the picture in this forum. I would like to get it in the hands of a collector. I am not going to restore it. I have a Vintage Briggs 5 horse engine too. The Powell currently has a newer Briggs in it.

Ive got a Powell I was going to restore. It looks as if it has every bit as many of the original parts as the picture in this forum. I would like to get it in the hands of a collector. I am not going to restore it. I have a Vintage Briggs 5 horse engine too. The Powell currently has a newer Briggs in it.
First thing post pics of it and where do you live ?

george3

I dont see any info on city or state? Why are you wanted buy your local law enforcement? You advertise you want to sell something no city, no state, no pics, no price, should be a quick seller, lol
Today, 12:30 PM #6 (permalink)
gdmcondev
View My Photos

Last edited:
I dont see any info on city or state? Why are you wanted buy your local law enforcement? You advertise you want to sell something no city, no state, no pics, no price, should be a quick seller, lol
Today, 12:30 PM #6 (permalink)
gdmcondev
View My Photos
Damn George give them hell won't you, LOL . But yes pics and location . Probably will not be on my side of the country though .

Powell Frame Restoration Project

Hello. Yep this is your old bike. I just finished reworking the frame. Replaced the front cross member due to two cracks on either site of motor tongue, and replaced the bent frame tubes. Next I will tackle the engine and clutch work, but not sure exactly what to do there yet. The short engine output shaft is the challenge, but jack shaft and bolt idea you gave me could work.

Last edited:
I am not sure if I should try to use this engine with 3/4 dia output shaft, aprox 1.25 inchs long, not any room to put a clutch pully? or use a piece of jack shaft that is bored out so it could be bolted to the existing shaft.

HB
Killer job you did I breathing new life back into your Challenger..
The way you have your shifter mounted to the engine is incorrect..
I'll dig up some pictures of the correct mounting and post them in this tread..
Oh and welcome to the Powell Brotherhood.:thumbsup:

george3

I am not sure if I should try to use this engine with 3/4 dia output shaft, aprox 1.25 inchs long, not any room to put a clutch pully? or use a piece of jack shaft that is bored out so it could be bolted to the existing shaft.
Your shifter arm bolts to that large hole in the engine cover plate. Then the bottom has a circle that is welded to the arm that goes over the small case bolt on the bottom.

Mac

Like this 5/8" one, but in 3/4".

Hello. Thanks again for the pictures of the placement of the shifter.

The pic of the output shaft extension is what was described to me by the fellow I bought the Powell from. I will need to purchase one of them. The Briggs in the pic didn't have spark, so installed a new condenser today, added some gas and oil, pulled the recoil and it popped and kicked back and sheered off the flywheel key. Not sure if it was something I did or is just kicked back because it hadn't been started in 30 years.?

Thanks

Keep in touch.

HBbob