powell challenger???

markus

I never followed the Powells too much, the number is 6899-MO as far as I can tell. its got a comet driven on it and a challenger decal on the guard. The front wheel also has the pre drilled holes to accept the front brake if that helps any as well.

Trying to figure out if this hole on the left side of the toprail and the indentations just in front of the numbers are for something in particular.....should they be there :shrug:

Not seeing too much else (haven't stripped the fresh spraybomb paint job off though either) would like to maybe start on it this week and correct that area if needed

Thanks for any help!

markus

ID number and the hole is for a small 1 hole strap that holds the throttle cable.
That's there, on the other side and farther back :shrug: Oh an that quick release throttle cable is neat :thumbsup: The cable on this thing is toast though looks like i gotta dig out the cable from that end piece and solder an new one in? Hopefully someone got some tips posted on that!!

markus

Been doing to reading and searching and I see that the "MO" was listed as the New model as of 8-71, My numbers are 18 higher than that number that was listed so its got to be right around that same timeframe. It looks like it was a little lighter blue than it is now originally too.

I also had a nice surprise when I pulled the spraypainted forks out of my tub I have filled with industrial cleaner to soak parts.......nice chrome underneath :thumbsup: Figured coming out of south Florida I was gonna find peeled and rusted up badly, and thankfully they did not bother to sand so they are not all scratched up either.

Gotta find a driver for the TC but I have 1971 dated H35's and HS40's so I have s a shot at putting this thing together :thumbsup:

I've been eyeballing a Powell as a replacement for/addition to my Manco Streaker. Same small size but a little more stylish IMHO. Just for cruising around in. This may inspire me to get off my butt and get one.
Looking great so far, yourself and a lot of guys on here make building these look easy, but there are those of us that know that sometimes these can be anything but easy.

markus

I've been eyeballing a Powell as a replacement for/addition to my Manco Streaker. Same small size but a little more stylish IMHO. Just for cruising around in. This may inspire me to get off my butt and get one.
Looking great so far, yourself and a lot of guys on here make building these look easy, but there are those of us that know that sometimes these can be anything but easy.
I tell ya, in pictures they dont "do it" for me, up close and personal though, I gotta say I really like it. Cant verify how the ride is yet though. Its like the reverse of a Bonanza MX for me, I love those bikes in pictures, and in pieces but when I have one in front of me on its wheels, I cant stand the looks of them :eek:ut:

Might want to re check your measurements though, these things are pretty big compared to a streaker!!!!!! :laugh: If you do start looking for one, I dont think I would touch one of these with a 10 foot pole if its missing more than and engine, There seems to be NOTHING standard/typical on these far as the hardware and parts go :cursing: Even the driven unit looks specially designed and will take some modding to replace if I have to!!!

I know, that was totally unexpected!!! went from being a part-out bike to a possible builder :thumbsup:
Heck Markus, you have more of a builder than I do. You have 3 more essential parts than mine does, LOL! That throttle, clutch guard, and brake are gold! I had just been planning on improvising since parts for these are like hen's teeth. I hope you see it through as a builder. I also hope we can find out what the O in the "MO" stood for. Nobody seems to know or they just aren't saying. I think you've inspired me to pull my forks and see what's hiding under the yellow paint. I've had high hopes since the fork springs aren't ceased.

I went back and revisited my own project thread and seen that George3 responded to the "O" in the "MO". Thank you for that George. Now I'm just wondering how hard it will be to find the appropriate driver as will Markus.

I think this is the possible difference in the M and the MO is M has the hand shifter and the MO has the driven tav.

6doggie3

That's there, on the other side and farther back :shrug: Oh an that quick release throttle cable is neat :thumbsup: The cable on this thing is toast though looks like i gotta dig out the cable from that end piece and solder an new one in? Hopefully someone got some tips posted on that!!

Markus can you get some measurements of the engine mounting holes ? Check out my post and you can see why I need them! Thanks

Markus sweet looking Powell you have found there . If I'am not mistaken that bike may have come with a big block tech . I think the fame is taller than say my E model is .
Also you got lucky that the throttle was still there . Installing a new cable shouldn't be a problem . And the chrome is awesome looking , who would have known .

markus

Markus can you get some measurements of the engine mounting holes ? Check out my post and you can see why I need them! Thanks
Best I can do, hope it helps :shrug:

David, Dunno what the engine was, guy just said it was an Indian, I said Tecumseh?, and he said yea, that guy :laugh:

markus

Just got back from a run down to the powdercoater, He got confused with all the pieces and did the seat mount in the color of the frame so hes gotta do that again in the silver, an there's some outgassing problems with the aluminum side of the wheel halve so I had to leave some of it there.

Heres another before shot since alot of my photobucket links got changed when I totally went through and sorted everything the other day.

AFTER

Yea its kinda an unusual color for the powells, I want to do a black engine and I thought this might work alright with that. Its the new Caterpillar yellow so its pretty mustard-y, hes doing a bunch of work for some machinery outfitter right now so he's got alot of that color on the shelf.

heres a link to the powell only album that will now house all the photos that are lost in this thread (if anyone needed any for reference) Powell by Mark Detro | Photobucket

Last edited: