Powell D-3078

6doggie3

Pick up this Powell earlier this year with some of the harder to find parts still there along a hacked up B model.

And after seeing OND and Airman and Havasu Dave's build's and BaB being back on the forum ?
I think it's time to get one of Mine running! So i brought this one home PB blasted all the bolts and nuts pulled the spark plug and put some motor oil in the cylinder before I started to drain oil out of the motor. Member MCF2891 stopped to talk mini bikes for awhile. Then after he left took the drai plug out and :doah:url='http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/photopost/data/500/IMG_03646.JPG']
[/url]

Oh man .....I love a good Powell build...good luck 6d3, I'm tuned in !
The red one has the original spark arrestor ...very cool !!!

The original spark arrestor AND it looks like the original quick release throttle. Those things are almost unobtainable, and they both will clean up real nice.

Looks like everything else is original too. Beautiful !! You just have to find that seat bracket to make that a complete project.

I can't wait to see this finished. I just hope you can go faster than I can, because I'm spread very thin until the cooler weather hits.

Which type engine is that? Is it a 5hp ?

6doggie3

The 5hp briggs that came on the mini had a bunch of water in the block.
Then once I got it drained the motor wouldn't turn all the way over so I
pulled the side cover off and valve was broke:censure:
Then I check another motor that I knew that ran but no treads on the crank
to mount the driver! Check three other newer 5hp motors 1 has the treads
but place to mount the shifter ? The other 2 no threads for the driver and shifter.
Now I pulled the motor out off the B model which has everything that I need
started to drain that engine it was looking good until the milky stuff started to flow
out also! So now I need to order some crankcase gaskets! Or is there another way
to get them cleaned out? which I asked in a thread in the engine & Mods section?

If it were me........

I'd stick with the original 5hp that had the water and busted valve. You could get all the new parts for a rebuild for under a hundred. Add some paint and a china made carb, a little over a hundred. I'd say well worth it for that D model.

6doggie3

Put the motor from the B model on with and oil change clean spark plug and new throttle cable put some air in the old tires and took her
for a ride! My first ride ever on a Powell after all these year collecting them? Now I'm pumped to get started a couple more! Now for the tear down.
And No Taco Loco Joe I'm not selling you My BC1500!lol

Last edited:
So Michael, how did it do ? Plenty of power ? Lots of torque ? Come on man...tells us how it done !:scooter: I can't wait to ride mine now .

Put the motor from the B model on with and oil change clean spark plug and new throttle cable put some air in the old tires and took her
for a ride! My first ride ever on a Powell after all these year collecting them? Now I'm pumped to get started a couple more! Now for the tear down.
And No Taco Loco Joe I'm not selling you My BC1500!lol
Don't hurt to ask Pal. Besides your definitely on Team Powell!

6doggie3

Started to strip the frame finally ! I like to use a razor blade when I strip My frames which works good on tubular frames not so much on flat surfaces ? So I had to bust out some power tools. Next time I will take it to a sand blaster:doah:

Couple more hours then primer but not sure what color yet?

6doggie3

Poll? No this one will be some shade of red? I have a few others to play around with colors on!:rolleyes:
My plan is to do my lowest number B model as close as I can to the original red.
H model lite green, J model lite blue, F model orange and I have and E model that is white.

6doggie3

Well a little change of plans for color for this one? After I hit the frame with some etching primer and looking at the two other Powell's that are already red in My collection. I went with orange instead of red? It's a rattle can paint job using Rust-Oleum farm implement Husqvarna orange.

Next I will be needing to play around with colors for the 5hp briggs. Maybe Dover white or tan, etc then call it the "Popsicle Powell"