Powell place bolt, have one?

Scottessey

I had a WTB post in the classifieds but I've had a few PM's asking about it so I started a post here. This bolt was on the rear brake of my brother's Powell. Whether it is original or stock, I'm not sure. My machinist ID'd it for me this morning, calling it a "place bolt". From the brief research I did online, they are for applications where you really don't want the bolt to fall out, ie. flywheels, brakes, etc.. The design of the bolt has a cut underneath and around the underside of the head that gives it a slight "umbrella" shape. That relief cut partners with the grooves on top creating just enough flex on the head so that when it's torqued down it adds a bit of springlike tension and thus locking action.

I've seen the suppliers online but haven't found one that wants to sell less than 100. But, If it's not stock, than I'll slap in the normal hex head one I have and stop thinking about it. However, even if it's not stock...it sure looks cool! :thumbsup:

So... Do your Powells have one? :shrug:

Scottessy, i've seen these place bolts on older american vehicles...they were used on the transmission flexplates and torque converters.ill bet if you go to Napa auto they might have those. or just go to a local junkyard they are literally all over the place.

Scottessey

Thanks JB. I've found online suppliers that will sell them too but the ones I talked to have a minimum order of 100.

Thanks Daniel, Neck mentioned that he's seen them on old american cars too. :thumbsup:

What I'm curious to know is... Did you find one on your Powells?

MiniBike Paul

I am going to look this morning when i get to the shop, but i have taken apart 4 and do not think any had that. Also, I will look at the "oldest" Powell on record and see what it has!
Where is BAB, he should know!

Mac

I am going to look this morning when i get to the shop, but i have taken apart 4 and do not think any had that. Also, I will look at the "oldest" Powell on record and see what it has!
Where is BAB, he should know!
...I'd bet INJUNTOM has those all over the floor of the shop.

Scottessey

Thanks for all of your input. I talked to BAB this morning and he mentioned some had them and some didn't. He suggested checking with Robert Bruce. Stoked to find that Robert Bruce had a couple left. :thumbsup: That bolt head is a nice little detail. :thumbsup:

If you have a steady hand you may want to add this touch to a few of them ol bolts :laugh:
I knew i should have listened to my parents and became a doctor:doah:

Neck

Growing up is optional
It's easy, just tape around the hex and with the head of the bolt level, drip some paint in the middle with a brush and let the paint flow!

MiniBike Paul

I'll be go to hell, we used those, 2 of them, on the Limo - I remember I wanted them because they are plenty long. Funny thing, there is no Powell brake on the bike, however there are chain adjusters on BOTH sides!
Being excessive compulsive, over the years I have created what I call my "hardware store"

I can almost always find what I need!!