powell rear spring

CarPlayLB

I actually wound up using two springs. I found a nice chrome spring and it was too light...my 250lbs of fat A$$ would crush it, so I bought an inner spring that is heavy and now it supports my delicate backside well...here are a couple of links

heavy inner spring
Raymond Yellow Compression Die Spring 4" Long PN 206 516 | eBay

outer chrome spring
1 ea 1 565" OD x 236" Wire Dia x 4 150" Long Compression Springs Chrome | eBay

I had to cut about one coil off the inner to make everything fit together...it does not look factory fresh, but it sure works nice!

I also found a bicycle mono shock that I cut the ends off and rounded enough to fit in the cups...it had a 750lb rated spring and worked well, just didn't look right!
Good luck, hope this helps

I realize this is an old thread, but I just spent awhile researching this, and ordering springs, so wanted to get the info posted for the next person looking for a spring.

Century Spring, (they are on line) part number 4115. (Century requires min. order of $50)

Max load is 478 LBS, and they are nearly identical to the original Powell spring I used as a measuring sample.

I also ordered two lighter springs. One that would work for those under 185 LBS, is max rated 292 LBS, and one lighter yet for a max weight of 257 LBS. (IE a 100 LB rider)

CarPlayLB

Dave, thanks for posting that!
One concern of mine was the leverage factor with the swingarm. If the ratio is 3:1, would the 478lb spring truly support 159.33lbs at the rear axle? If that is the case, I'd still need a 750lb spring! I know that the rate increases as the spring is compressed.
If I recall, the wire diameter is close to 1/4". With the same amount of coils and the same diameter wire, is it possible to have different rate springs?
I would be interested to see how it works on the bike with one of us old fat guys on it!

I just installed it with the bare frame and swing arm. So far, so good. My 240 LBS couldn't come close to bottoming it out, but a complete frame is a better test.

I also tested their 4259 spring. It is way softer and has more travel. I suspect that spring is too weak for a 200-plus pound rider, but that is a guess.

I have another spring 72929 coming in which is between both of the above springs with regard to max. load recommendation.

Guys another trick is to pack the inside of the spring with shock rubbers . My stock spring would bottom at just the slightest bump , now with it filled solid it's prefect no bottoming and seems to have some compression feeling .

6doggie3

Guys another trick is to pack the inside of the spring with shock rubbers . My stock spring would bottom at just the slightest bump , now with it filled solid it's prefect no bottoming and seems to have some compression feeling .
Dave and David can you post some pic when get the chance? Thanks!

Dave, with the Century spring 4115, are you also running the inner spring? If so, does it have a Century part number?
Todd, no inner spring. I haven't rode on it yet, but it seems to be a well suited spring. I cant bottom it out by bouncing on it. Century's part number is 4115. It's only about 23 dollars, but they have a $50 min. order requirement.

Here are the specifications of that spring. I see in other posts, some efforts at mathematics, swing arm length, ratios, and the like. I disregarded them, relying instead of individual specifications such as length, wire diameter, total coils, and ends. I also ordered two additional springs of very near specifications, but they're just too light. One of them would work with an additional inner spring. I do not like two springs, as they rub, weakening both springs.

Part #: 4115 O.D: 1.531" LENGTH: 4.25" ID: .907" RATE:1003 MAX. DEFLECTION: 0.48" MAX. LOAD: 478 LBS
WIRE DIA: 0.312" TOTAL COILS: 9.5 MATERIAL: Spring Steel ENDS: Closed Ground FINISH: Zinc Cost: $20.09

I called Century the other day and they are out of stock on that spring with a 6-10week lead time. They suggested that I call OSH and ACE to see if they had inventory as Century distributes some springs thru that channel. Sounds like the Century route may take a while....bummer.