Power Bee 58021 Engine 4hp - Restoration Questions!

Seb

Hi there,
Just to preface - I am very new to vintage engine restoration - so thanks in advance!

I'm looking to learn some more about a Power Bee 580 engine I bought off ebay - as I would like to restore it back to a really nice condition.

The below information is what I have from the seller so far.
From the pictures can and description can any one tell me what I should order ahead of time? (If there is somewhere to actually order it) or possibly direct me to someone who may have some extra parts for sale?

I'm also looking for general advice as to how I should tackle restoring this, I'd like to make it nice and shiny and firing up reliably, possibly to put on an old mini bike.

I have a spare old delorto carberator, would something like that work on this?

This is the info I have on it so far:
"Power Bee 58021 Engine 4hp. Condition is "For parts or not working". Motor has compression and piston is not scared up , plastic bowl on carb is broken off , no spark , pull start slips a little when pulling motor over . I pulled this off a tamper . Sold as is , no returns , U.S. shipping only"

Thanks!!

Attachments

Addicted 2 Minis

From your pictures it looks like it might have a non-tapered crank as it has clutch weights still on it. Most of the tamper engines do have a tapered crank though. If it's not getting spark, that's actually a good thing as it was probably running up until it lost spark which means the internals are probably good. You can convert the points over to solid state with a NOVA II module or the equivalent copy. Just do an eBay search for universal ignition module until you find one like the attached images.

1617672271421.png
1617672333772.png

Seb, the 58021 was built for the Bud Corporation, Columbus, OH for a tamper, it has a straight pto shaft. It should be easy to find a clutch to fit that pto, if not contact Jim Donovan at MaxTorque, he will build you a clutch for your application.

Attachments

Seb

Addicted 2 Minis & louie figone - thank you very much for the information. I'll do some digging into this. I appreciate it.

Would a custom clutch be needed in order to work? Should I take the weights off to see if I have a non-tapered crank?

Do you have any other resources that would help me? Cheers!

Your engine has a counter clock wise (CCW) rotation at the PTO, take the nut off (it will have right hand threads) the clutch assembly should slide off. Nothing special about getting a clutch for it, 9/16 inch straight shaft with a number 5 woodruff key. Call Jim Donovan @ MaxTorque clutch (closed on Fridays) 630-369-9600, he can build you a clutch for your application.
You can pull more power out of this engine with a better reed setup, the West Bend factory V reed is as good as a Go Power intake. A V reed intake (or a Go Power) and a larger carburetor like an HL232 will push you over 5 HP. The intake with the offset is the V reed manifold, the other is a Go Power.

Attachments

Got to follow along on this one. Actually have a West Bend 58010 Serial # 11577 that's goin to need some love! Won't actually have it in my possession till late May at best. So I'm all ears and setting on the edge of my seat here. :)
Thank you!

Got to follow along on this one. Actually have a West Bend 58010 Serial # 11577 that's goin to need some love! Won't actually have it in my possession till late May at best. So I'm all ears and setting on the edge of my seat here. :)
Thank you!
58010 is a kart engine, CW rotation on the pto. 5.0 HP @6000 rpm. It should have a straight 9/16" pto shaft with a key slot for a #5 woodruff key 1/8" wide. The crankshaft will have the same specifications as pictured in above post #4 (2761018)

Attachments