Power bee 700?

I pick this up at a swap meet in November. It's the hydraulic pump that powers "jaws of life" unit for a fire department. I have yet to take it apart to see what I have for crankshaft size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sprocket86

Awesome find and lucky! I've always wanted one of these vintage two cycle power plants.

Post some more pics when you get it apart. Cross your fingers for a .750" crank PTO.

Wow that's pretty cool… The jaws of life unit may have been manufactured by Hurst? My recoil has the same yellow 5000 decal on it. Looking forward to getting further into this project and learning more about this engine. I will certainly post more pictures

I got it apart. Before I go any farther, need to determine if it's feasible to use this size crankshaft on a minibike.
Measurements of crankshaft;
Length 1 1/4"
DIA 1/2"
Key slot. 1/16"
Hole at end of crank 1/4" deep
Untapped
Haven't started researching yet.
A little nervous because I think this crank is too small. Anybody have luck with this size crank?

Thanks firepower! I looked into it and they are calling for a 3/16" keyway slot. After doing more accurate measuring, found out my keyway slot is 1/8". Not sure if I'm going to be able to find a clutch with 1/8" Keyway that works on a minibike. Chainsaw clutch maybe?

CarPlayLB

Thanks firepower! I looked into it and they are calling for a 3/16" keyway slot. After doing more accurate measuring, found out my keyway slot is 1/8". Not sure if I'm going to be able to find a clutch with 1/8" Keyway that works on a minibike. Chainsaw clutch maybe?
No! You are better off running a clutch on the jackshaft! The chainsaw clutches require a bunch of work to make the useable

Hi Trailblazer, that is the common West Bend/US Motor Power crankshaft size. Jim Donovan at Max Torque will build you one up in a day and ship it. Probably cost you about $95. Different than his four stroke clutches internally with the fiber washers. I have one and it has been working great for a few years now.

Or, as Carplay said, Jack Shaft clutch it. Comet Kart sales is having a closeout sale on the drive gears at ten bucks each. Just be mindful that you might want to run a bit stiffer on the clutch spring for higher RPM engagement than the standard 4 stroke clutch spring brings to the table.

Edit: Just went out and checked mine, and the PTO was externally threaded. You could tap the shaft you have easily to accept a retaining bolt. Also there are a couple of crankshafts on Ebay. Just wanted to point out that you do have options.

Last edited:
Good advice guys… Direct drive to a jack shaft with the clutch or a custom-made clutch from Jim Donovan. I currently have a nice BC1300 front Peg frame. Still looking for the correct Tecumseh 4hp to go with it. I was thinking in the mean time the power bee would be a cool engine choice...There is not enough clearance on the bonanza jack shaft to accommodate a clutch. Going to call Jim and see if he can work some magic and build a clutch for that size PTO and then try to put together a bonanza powered by Chrysler!