Power Products AH58

hi im new to the site but i have a question for you i have the same motor, it ran when i first got it but locked up shortly after i tore it down and found that the needle bearings on the crank were bent and falling out any ways long story short i can find these needles anywhere an if i can they want me to buy a bag of a 1000, mine had a single row i see you have a double row i was wondering if you could tell me where you got them and if you knew the number i could really use the help im kind of stuck at this point

fistfullabar

hi im new to the site but i have a question for you i have the same motor, it ran when i first got it but locked up shortly after i tore it down and found that the needle bearings on the crank were bent and falling out any ways long story short i can find these needles anywhere an if i can they want me to buy a bag of a 1000, mine had a single row i see you have a double row i was wondering if you could tell me where you got them and if you knew the number i could really use the help im kind of stuck at this point
Did you read the thread? He said it was replaced by a west bend rod.

i sure did read the thread he said he replaced it with a west bend rod on page 1 then on page 2 or 3 he said he was wrong they used the correct power product rod or pp rod for short so it leaves me with the same question does any one know where i can find the needle bearing for on the crank for this rod

i sure did read the thread he said he replaced it with a west bend rod on page 1 then on page 2 or 3 he said he was wrong they used the correct power product rod or pp rod for short so it leaves me with the same question does any one know where i can find the needle bearing for on the crank for this rod
Matt, you are posting on a thread that is 3 years old. You need five posts (I think) to be able to send PM's. (private messages) Then you could PM Scottessy and ask directly.

You could also PM member Louie Figone who can quote you the dimension of those bearings and direct you to where you need to go to find them.

Guys, sorry to respond so late on this, I have not been keeping up on this tread. You may be able to get the needles from Bobby Muha (601-317-2249) he has quite a collection of Power Product parts. If he can't help you then get a set of loose needles for a West Bend 610/820, they measure the same diameter (.093) but are too long (.4825 versus .4170). I have a set of pliers that I ground a grove longways to hold the needle, I grind the ends on a belt sander equally on each side to get the required length, bevel the ends a little.
I say loose needles because US Motors (West Bend) also use a caged bearing for the crank end of the rod. For you West Bend guys (610/820) do not use the caged bearing in a kart or mini-bike application, they have been failing when being used above 7000 rpm. You can use the 610/820 wrist pin in the Power Products, they need to be cut to the proper length (1.594).
Power Products started to use the double row needles (56 needles) in the later engines, the single needles (28 needles) were used in the earlier engines.

Hey Scottessey, nice engine! I had a Power Products engine on McCulloch kart as a kid and I think it was an AH58. The engine was red and it looked like factory paint. Do you know if they came in red?

Hey Scottessey, nice engine! I had a Power Products engine on McCulloch kart as a kid and I think it was an AH58. The engine was red and it looked like factory paint. Do you know if they came in red?
I'm an old guy and bought an AH58 new for about $60 in about 1963. It was bright red. At the time I had a mini bike that I bought from a local Spokane bicycle store. It was powered by a Briggs & Stratton 2 1/2 HP lawnmower motor. I wore the bearings out in the B&S and bought the AH58 at a store that was closing them out. What a difference. I had a friend with a Honda 55. According to his speedometer mine went about 35 with the B&S and over his 50 MPH maximum with the AH58. One of the many vehicles I wish I had kept.

I got a license plate on the mini bike and rode it on the street once I got a driver's license. All I needed was a bill of sale back then. I think my dad had to register it due to my age. Was stopped over 20 times in one year but never given a ticket. Most memorable comment was from a motorcycle cop who said, "Son, if you hit a cigar butt with those little wheels going 50 miles per hour you'll be nothing but a grease spot on the pavement." Sorry for going on at length, but it's rare that I get to talk about this stuff.

Last edited:

markus

like these :shrug: these are AH61's They were off a Dart kart I think.

I'm an old guy and bought an AH58 new for about $60 in about 1963. It was bright red. At the time I had a mini bike that I bought from a local Spokane bicycle store. It was powered by a Briggs & Stratton 2 1/2 HP lawnmower motor. I wore the bearings out in the B&S and bought the AH58 at a store that was closing them out. What a difference. I had a friend with a Honda 55. According to his speedometer mine went about 35 with the B&S and over his 50 MPH maximum with the AH58. One of the many vehicles I wish I had kept.

I got a license plate on the mini bike and rode it on the street once I got a driver's license. All I needed was a bill of sale back then. I think my dad had to register it due to my age. Was stopped over 20 times in one year but never given a ticket. Most memorable comment was from a motorcycle cop who said, "Son, if you hit a cigar butt with those little wheels going 50 miles per hour you'll be nothing but a grease spot on the pavement." Sorry for going on at length, but it's rare that I get to talk about this stuff.
I'm glad you told the story. My Dad bought the kart for me in about 1964 when I was about twelve. It's amazing you were able to put a plate on your minibike with just a bill of sale. Ah, the good old days!