powerwasher motor

are the engines from powerwashers any good do they have the corect shaft.
i just missed a 5.5 honda for 50$ and then found a honda 6.5 but it is still on the pressure washer the guy wants 150 but said if i finish taking it apart i can have it for 100$ so i will offer him 50$ and go from there.
do these engines work well on minis right now my sons trail horse has a 3hp briggs was looking for a little more power.
thanks for any advice.
i also found a greyhound 6.5 barely used he wants 100$ dont know how these clones are.thanks again

most pressure washers from what I have seen have vertical drive like the ones you find on modern push lawn mowers. vertical shafts aren't practical for mini bikes what you need is a horizontal drive shaft. they can be found on snow blowers a lot of the time or cement mixers. I know alot of members find them on old snow blowers I live in sunny southern California so there are not to many snow blowers here. I know the new predator clone from harbor freight gos on sale for $99 pretty often. hope this helps. pictures of what you are looking at buying would probably help a lot.

Motra

Engines from pressure washers work great. They're some of the best engines to use in my opinion (small engine mechanic for many years). Every one I've ever seen has the correct shaft (larger ones have a 1" shaft), they have air filters (as opposed to snow blower engines), they never have an additional reverse pto shaft, and they've usually had a pretty easy life compared to other engines. I've scored many engines from pressure washers. Some pressure washers use a vertical engine but those are usually the little cheap ones.

thanks for the info motra.
im just looking for something better it is for my son so i dont think ill need to hop it up at all.
what about a briggs intek over a honda both 6-6.5hp .
just wondering and thanks again

I stand corrected. Apparently all the Brigs and Honda engines I have seen on pressure washers were just the cheap ones. Didn't realize cheap pressure washers had Brigs and Honda engines on them. My pressure washer plugs into the wall what would I know and the ones I see at the store and on CL have vertical shafts.

Just bought this one for my neighbor to put on an old go kart for his nephews. It is a 7 hp Robin/Subaru motor with 3/4" shaft, the pump burned up on it and the guy said it hadn't been ran all that much. He said here let me start it for you so you can hear it run, we rolled it outside the garage and I touched the exhaust and it was cold, he flipped the switch to "ON", flipped the fuel "ON" and flipped the choke "ON" and it started right up first pull. Told the neighbor he couldn't beat it for $60!!!! Gonna put it on his kart for him tomorrow.

Motra

Both are great engines. The Briggs engines are taller with the fuel tank and might not fit in your frame. The Honda GX engines usually fit the frames good and are heavy duty dual ball bearing engine. If your frame has jack-shaft mounts, any of the OHV engines with an inclined cylinder might be tough to use.

Last edited: