Preadator 212 Stuttering when giving more than 1/4 throttle

So I just recently put a new carb into my preadator 212. It idles wonderfully, and about 1/4 throttle it runs with no problems. However, when giving it the gas, it bogs and stutters. For example as i’m riding (it’s a mini bike) I’ll feel and hear it cut out or like misfire sound. Not sure what it is. Any ideas would be helpful

I have not checked to see if fuel lines or tank are clean, how would i go about cleaning them, they seem to flow alright but. Anyways, the carb is a stock preadator 212 carb from gopowersports. I planned on putting a new spark plug in today but none of the auto shops near me had the right fit. Just ordered one should be here soon.

I have not checked to see if fuel lines or tank are clean, how would i go about cleaning them, they seem to flow alright but. Anyways, the carb is a stock preadator 212 carb from gopowersports. I planned on putting a new spark plug in today but none of the auto shops near me had the right fit. Just ordered one should be here soon.
Most of the time, when I get a new 212 clone carburetor, there is a new fuel line and the poorly designed clamps in the box with it. For me, it’s a perfect time to pull the tank and line and clean em both. Replace the carb gasket as well, as some will crack a bit at the 6:00 position. If the tank is dirty... so is the rest.

Most of the time, when I get a new 212 clone carburetor, there is a new fuel line and the poorly designed clamps in the box with it. For me, it’s a perfect time to pull the tank and line and clean em both. Replace the carb gasket as well, as some will crack a bit at the 6:00 position. If the tank is dirty... so is the rest.
The carb i had ordered came with gaskets, so all of the gaskets are brand new and actually really thick/heavy duty. I checked the fuel lines, they are not clogged as fuel flows out of them great when disconnected from the carb, tank looked good too besides minor little particles on the bottom. I’m beginning to think it may be the spark plug or a jet problem, not sure which one, but I can’t check the spark plug at the moment because I lost my 13/16 spark plug socket.

The carb i had ordered came with gaskets, so all of the gaskets are brand new and actually really thick/heavy duty. I checked the fuel lines, they are not clogged as fuel flows out of them great when disconnected from the carb, tank looked good too besides minor little particles on the bottom. I’m beginning to think it may be the spark plug or a jet problem, not sure which one, but I can’t check the spark plug at the moment because I lost my 13/16 spark plug socket.
It’s the tiny particles that are the culprits. The hose is most likely loosing fine particles as well from it’s inside wall = Ethanol gasoline exposure.

I74

I use standard NGK spark plugs in ''all'' small engines.
Plug for the 212, is a - ''BP6ES''.
They are only 2 - 3 bucks @ most auto stores.
I get them for 2 bucks @ my local Auto zone.

For those who don't know about NGK's heat ranges,
the lower the number, the hotter the plug.
One step hotter is a ''BP5ES''.
If you have an engine that is modded & re jetted,, generally a step hotter plug works better, to help burn off the extra fuel on the plug ect.
Will also help with flat spots on accel. ;)
I

As far as tank cleaning it will depend on what yours looks like. If there’s rust it’s a small process. YouTube.. if it’s just debris empty tank put small amount of gas swish repeat this five or so times. Pour gas into a clean white bucket so you can see any debris. Empty bucket and repeat until there is no debris. Shoot some dw40 through the lines along with some air, make sure there free flowing. I don’t personally use carb cleaners in my fuel lines as it can make them brittle. But wd40 has always worked fine for me with a few shots of air. Also clean the carb bowl as it may have some debris from the tank and line. Any time you put a new carb on be sure your lines and tank are clean or you may just clog up your new carb.

Sounds good, i only had it running for maybe 20-30 minutes with the stuttering. I was testing out a chain tensioner and didn’t thing it would be a big deal. I’ll clean the lines and tank and see what happens.

I74

I found out in recent years that you want to be careful on what you use WD-40 for.
Reading articles from misc. technical institutes, they are saying that overtime,, the solvent vehicle in WD-40 works it's way in ''a lot'' of plastics & nylon ect., breaking down the chain molecules, & basically dissolves them.
You might have noticed over time, that plastics ect. get brittle & weak after using the stuff on them.
I would be careful using the stuff in fuel systems ect., especially if the tank & carb ect. have plastic type components, which ''a lot'' of them do, especially the far east offerings.
I

I74

Added,,
All I use these days is : 100_5390.JPG CRC ''QD'' electronic cleaner.
It's plastic / nylon safe, very thin,, & works awesome.;)

The only two plastics WD40 has an adverse effect on are polystyrenes and polycarbonates. (spelling) It doesn't eat rubber any faster than any other petroleum product. I can not think of a single plastic part in any carburetor, but there are some external plastic bits of course. Gasoline eats the same plastic WD40 does. Only faster.

For those of us who have raced and crewed alcohol cars, we know that the weekend ritual involves opening AN fittings, and hosing copious amounts of WD40 in to the fuel lines, and into the carbs or injectors.

For those using pump gas on their small gas engines, in a perfect world, tanks would be drained, WD40 sprayed into them, and into the fuel lines, and into the float bowls. The "WD" part of WD40 means water displacement, and the alcohol added to pump gas condenses and caused a build up of water vapor which corrodes brass washers, and jets, steel springs, and aluminum.

In this case, I have to wonder why the guy pulled off an OEM carburetor, and then replaced it with another OEM carburetor. We can fill pages up with what it might be, fuel, or spark. I'll guess fuel, since he is on the second carburetor, and I'll guess air leak, causing him to lean out during pilot to main transition, only because you guys already guessed that the crud that was laying on the bottom of his fuel tank was loosened up by his fresh fuel, and migrated into his orifices.

Sorry, too much coffee, and I only want to be in internet expert- like the guy I just read who said "WD40 is mostly water." I guess he doesn't know that "WD" stands for "Water Displacement." A bit of fun- WD40 was first used as an anti-corrosive compound on the external skins of missiles. It is indeed a solvent, but then so is H2O.

Edit: And that can of CRC is fine for electrical contact cleaning. It is a petroleum distillate using an alcohol solvent. We used it on aircraft electrical systems. Since it is so expensive, (for production work) isopropyl alcohol is a better choice with an acid brush for cleaning, flux removal etc followed by application of lithium or dielectric grease.

Last edited:
So part of my problem was air/fuels. It was way rich so i leaned it out and it didn’t bog unless i really revved it out. However it is still bogging. Not sure what it is at this point but i have still been unable to get the spark plug changed so that could be a part of it

Also, after i really get on it, like revving it out pretty far, the bike will shut off soon as i let off the gas, it won’t idle after a pull without me giving it gas, but it i choke it out for a second then it’ll idle great again.

65ShelbyClone

I forgot to mention this engine sat for almost 2 years without being ran, so a spark plug change would most likely be necessary.
Why? Spark plugs don't go bad from sitting. And why did you replace the carburetor originally?

So often I read about carburetors getting replacing because they might have been a problem. Now the owner is fighting with a new generic one that doesn't have the right settings and possibly not the the right jets for their engine and it just makes the problem that much harder to find.