preadator slow after cam install

i just got a black mamba cam and 26 pound springs installed them in my bike and it lost some mph over the stock cam and stock springs

mods are:
aluminum flywheel 4 dagree advanced
header pipe but its kinda short
90 jet in the carb
air filter and adaptor
black mamba cam 26 lb springs
and the clutch has been ''blue printed'' by me with a few coils cut and the shoes are shaved on the sides
it feels like its not getting the power it should be getting i have a stock plug stock magnito stock carb with only a 90 jet u think my carb is holding it back? ir maybe something else the cams put in right with the dot to dot markings on the crank and cam and the stock rockers are set at .003 on intake and ighaust lmk people thx

no not with a fresh plug im getting one in a little while im reading up on the resister plug in the boot of the stock plug wire i still have that in my bike that might be causing a prob

Get some drill bits...proper jetting is very important and its real easy to learn.There is a ton of info on the subject right here on OldMiniBikes just use the search.

rmm727

Do you think its down on power from jetting or not making power off the line because the cam isn't starting to "pull" yet and you still have the clutch set at the stock stall speed? Doesn't that cam come in at 4k rpm?

vwfan79

The clutch will make it take off slow but shouldn't make it seem like it doesn't have any balls. The cam does really kick in between 3500 and 4K. But with all the extra air that small jet is killing the motor, he needs to get the air fuel ratio correct before he worries about the clutch. I can't speak for him but I use the governor arm in my throttle hook up with the internal governor gears removed, and yes I run billet rod and flywheel.

i just got a black mamba cam and 26 pound springs installed them in my bike and it lost some mph over the stock cam and stock springs

mods are:
aluminum flywheel 4 dagree advanced
header pipe but its kinda short
90 jet in the carb
air filter and adaptor
black mamba cam 26 lb springs
and the clutch has been ''blue printed'' by me with a few coils cut and the shoes are shaved on the sides
it feels like its not getting the power it should be getting i have a stock plug stock magnito stock carb with only a 90 jet u think my carb is holding it back? ir maybe something else the cams put in right with the dot to dot markings on the crank and cam and the stock rockers are set at .003 on intake and ighaust lmk people thx
Ok, I would like to know if u have removed the governor. Second is IMO the carb is too small for the Black Mamba cam. U will see a huge increase if u install the 22mm Mikuni or Mikuni replica and jet it accordingly. The size of the factory venturi will hold this engine back from making the RPM needed to see the cam operate within its "power range". We have run this cam with all ur mods and a Mikuni setup from Tim and made plenty of power. Lastly, is ur head ported at all? This will also make a differance in performance once u step up to a bigger cam. If u would prefer to PM me, we can figure this out. Believe me when I say that this particular cam works great. Hit me up for further help. Frank

vwfan79

Ok, I would like to know if u have removed the governor. Second is IMO the carb is too small for the Black Mamba cam. U will see a huge increase if u install the 22mm Mikuni or Mikuni replica and jet it accordingly. The size of the factory venturi will hold this engine back from making the RPM needed to see the cam operate within its "power range". We have run this cam with all ur mods and a Mikuni setup from Tim and made plenty of power. Lastly, is ur head ported at all? This will also make a differance in performance once u step up to a bigger cam. If u would prefer to PM me, we can figure this out. Believe me when I say that this particular cam works great. Hit me up for further help. Frank
I run this cam with 26# springs, 6* timing, billet rod and fw w/ stock carb and no head work. I have plenty of power and can spin 7400 RPM, I think with out changing the carb and doing head work he would see a big improvement with a bigger jet. Yes a 22mm Mikuni would be better and porting but that aside his jet is to small.

I run this cam with 26# springs, 6* timing, billet rod and fw w/ stock carb and no head work. I have plenty of power and can spin 7400 RPM, I think with out changing the carb and doing head work he would see a big improvement with a bigger jet. Yes a 22mm Mikuni would be better and porting but that aside his jet is to small.
well we will know for sure as soon as we see a plug to read.

put on a 22mm mikuni carb with a 12.5 and 130 main jet and its still a lil lean but hauls ass!!! big BIG diffrence and its still a lil lean on the plug reading might need more jet im not sure yet tho