Predator 212 Fuel Tank Teardown

Before painting or powder coating the fuel tank from my 212 I need to first remove the plastic bungs for the vent hose and gas line. The powder coat tech said he'd have no problem putting a nice finish on the tank if I can de-trim it. Has anyone done this before without damaging those parts? Nothing popped up via the site's search function. I'd hate to remove them and then not be able to re-install. I don't know if replacements are available.

It appears that the white plastic piece on the bottom of the tank may be threaded into a fitting, but I haven't put a wrench to it yet. The black plastic part on the top of the tank has no obvious fastener. I suppose it might just snap into place.

mustangfrank

Before painting or powder coating the fuel tank from my 212 I need to first remove the plastic bungs for the vent hose and gas line. The powder coat tech said he'd have no problem putting a nice finish on the tank if I can de-trim it. Has anyone done this before without damaging those parts? Nothing popped up via the site's search function. I'd hate to remove them and then not be able to re-install. I don't know if replacements are available.

It appears that the white plastic piece on the bottom of the tank may be threaded into a fitting, but I haven't put a wrench to it yet. The black plastic part on the top of the tank has no obvious fastener. I suppose it might just snap into place.

I have a loose Predator in the shop but it's too cold here in Michigan to start reefing on the plastic parts. I'd be surprised if that top vent/breather isn't just pushed into the rubber grommet, I could rotate this one 1/8 turn each way. If that was removed you could probably see the lower fuel outlet fitting better through the top hole.

Maybe sneak a little WD in between the grommet and breather and see if it moves/turns easily?...or wait for someone that has done it so nothing gets broken.

SAS289

You would think that the filter on the bottom of the tank is removable? The filters on my Coleman tanks are removable with a 12mm wrench or socket.

If you had a small mirror you may be able to get a better idea of how the vent is attached.

The filter is visible through the filler hole and it appears to thread into a nut welded to the inside of the tank. After I posted my questions last night I also found that the part is also easily available online. I have a bore scope. Later today I'll stick it into the tank for a look-see at the backside of the black vent hole plug on the top of the tank.

212 Fuel Filter

Last edited:
Thanks. But what about the black plastic plug in the top of the tank where the vent tube attaches? I'm still scratching my head on how to get that thing out without harming it. Ruining an important part would turn this into a bigger project than I want right now. I don't have any more of these engines lying around to swipe parts from. Now, if it was a 3hp Briggs & Stratton edger motor I'd have lots of bits...:D

There really isn't much info about the vent. However, I did find this:

"Took the tank vent assembly out with channel locks. Lube it with WD-40 to twist it out.
Put it in a vise and knocked it apart. It appears to be ultrasonically welded together. "

1639871426252.png

So, to your point, apparently you will only need to get a good grip on it and twist while pulling.

Here are the instructions the original poster left:
To take the tank vent out:
Pry it up a little with a flat blade screwdriver so you can squirt WD-40 between the tank and the rubber grommet.
WD-40 will lube the rubber so it will be easier to remove.
Grab the plastic housing with a pair of Channel-Loks.
Twist and pull up until it comes out. It can be a little stubborn.
You may need to help it with a flat blade screwdriver

toomanytoys

Is this a hemi or non hemi predator?

My last non hemi predator I used on the megamoto 212p didn't have the vent.

My tillotson and 208 odd ball tank does.

I see a variety of tanks for sale online but I can't remember. Clones fit one and don't fit the other.

toomanytoys

My engine is a hemi.

It's good to know that there are other tanks floating around out there. That eases my concerns about f***ing it up. I will get back to the tank after I finish the frame repairs that I am now deep into.
You have options. Seems like a mixed bag of tanks. Only problem I've ran into with different tanks vs height. Tillotson tank is super tall. The 208 tank was slimmer. Had to swap them to fit them into my ct200u frame.