Predator 212 Governor - Limit it, or removal...???

So I'm working on our new Predator 212, and I just put on the Mikuni 22mm performance kit from go power sports. I have a header and PVL Flywheel (Offset Key also) as well, but I don't really want to get into cam, valve springs, and connecting rod at this point..

I was wondering if there was a good way to "Limit" the existing governor to 500 rpm or a little lower, vs just removing it?

Thanks
Rick

How would you even connect the governor to the Mikuni? Remove it.
Ok,.. so in "removing" it,.. can it just be disconnected and left there (With just the arm attached to the shaft coming out of the engine)... or are we talking a complete removal including internal parts as well? I'd prefer just to disconnect it and leave unless there's a problem with doing it that way? - Sorry,.. newbie'ness shining through right now :D

Ok so not to beat a dead horse on this thing, but I understand that there is the potential for problems if I leave it in,.. But I honestly don't feel like taking the motor apart at this point...

If I leave the governor in place (Arm still attached to the shaft coming out of the motor?) Is it common that there will be a problem with the internal gear and or components, or is there just potential for there to be a problem?

Sorry, just trying to get a grasp on the severity of this :D

Thanks guys for being patient with me ..

There was a thread on here a while ago where the governor arm was left loose and something hit it and cracked the top of the block over the governor arm. You may be able to search for the thread.

Ok thanks for the replies guys, but just to reiterate what my set up is,... I have already removed the factory carb and all of the governor/throttle linkage. I have installed the aftermarket Mikuni Carb set up which has no way to utilize the factory governor linkage and hardware.

Thanks!

Harquebus

Okay Werner, you’re a nut for keeping the governor and internal linkage(s) intact inside your crankcase. How’s that for ya? :D

That hardened plastic (but still plastic) governor gear, connected to the camshaft is now spinning wildly, without purpose, beyond speeds it was not designed for inside the engine. It’s a ticking time bomb not to mention a slight tidbit of parasitic drag.

Then again you said you only wanted to limit your engine and governor to 500 rpm. Will a clone 212cc even tick over that slowly (rhetorical question)?

I would like to know how many people here have a governor on their car ? How many have blown up their car by over revving ?
What makes people think we has humans are incapable of governing our motors the same ways we do our car ?

my Mini Baja with 212cc HF motor has a governor with zero mechanical linkage and is intelligent. ( at least a little bit )

Now it could be a different story if I had children riding it or were loaning or renting to riders who don't care about blowing up
the engine. I am not saying all instances of governors are bad.... just the ones on vehicles I ride.

I would like to know how many people here have a governor on their car ? How many have blown up their car by over revving ?
What makes people think we has humans are incapable of governing our motors the same ways we do our car ?

my Mini Baja with 212cc HF motor has a governor with zero mechanical linkage and is intelligent. ( at least a little bit )

Now it could be a different story if I had children riding it or were loaning or renting to riders who don't care about blowing up
the engine. I am not saying all instances of governors are bad.... just the ones on vehicles I ride.
Newer cars govern electronically and I doubt the older cars had a flimsy plastic gear that governed the engines. Also, most automobiles are governed at 155mph.

Okay Werner, you’re a nut for keeping the governor and internal linkage(s) intact inside your crankcase. How’s that for ya? :D

That hardened plastic (but still plastic) governor gear, connected to the camshaft is now spinning wildly, without purpose, beyond speeds it was not designed for inside the engine. It’s a ticking time bomb not to mention a slight tidbit of parasitic drag.
Grow up Harquebus. How's that. I doubt if you threw a handful of those plastic gears loose inside the crankcase that any harm would occur. Besides that the replacement cost of the engine is only $99 and if the unused timing gear only screwed up on one of every hundred motors assuming
it could do real harm, the total cost spread out over all motors is only one dollar per motor and it is going to take anyone from two hours to two days to remove the motor, open it up and re-assemble and reinstall.... and that is if it all gets put back together properly. I guarantee you the chance of putting the engine back together properly by a newbie is a LOT less than the plastic gear causing problem. I dont know but is your labor worth more than a nickel to a dollar an hour ?

Newer cars govern electronically and I doubt the older cars had a flimsy plastic gear that governed the engines. Also, most automobiles are governed at 155mph.
I'm sorry that is BS. Did you not notice that you said MPH and not RPM ? On the performance cars that CAN do 155mph (VERY SMALL percentage)
, they are limited to speed and not to RPM except for very few exotics. If you want to sit in neutral and rev the crap out of it till explosion you certainly may. The mfgrs would like that as they get to sell you a new motor. On older cars there were no governors much less plastic gear governors that I know of. I have owned , built and raced cars since 1970. List any exceptions that you know of. OK. to be fair I am aware of a very few exotic cars that bounce off max limited rpms but in total they are less than one percent of the auto population. Anyone who does not have the good sense and discipline to not blow up their motor then by all means keep the governor and their training wheels.