predator 212 hemi vs non-hemi

predator 212 hemi vs non-hemi. What are the major differences? Which is better? Does it even matter? Lets hear your opinions. I'll be making a video of this comparison soon and need some input from you all.
Untitled.png

Depends on what you plan on doing with them. Both have a large availability of hop up parts. Out of the box, if I remember correctly the Hemi has a higher governed speed. Also the fuel tank is taller on the Hemi( something to consider when trying to squeeze one in a frame)
Also the Hemi and non Hemi have different piston types. Of course hemispherical head vs regular head. Also depending on which version valves are different sizes.
I have one one of each, both built, mildly.
Billet flywheels/billet rods, Mod 2 cams, larger jets, headers, velocity stacks. governors/low oil sensors removed, ported/polished heads, 10 thous. head gaskets.

Hemi is on my Bird Thunderbird, running a Max Torque clutch. Really stupid power/speed for that small of a bike.
Non Hemi is on my Coleman CT200U with a China TAV. Remember the bit about fuel tank height? Hemi would not fit under the top frame rails.Makes great power and nice top end speed.

Equally happy with both.

I needed an engine for my Fimco build.

I bought a hemi w/$94.99 HF coupon. Haven't seen one of those coupons lately. Please share if you find one.

Cyber Monday price is $99.99.

HF Coupon

It fit nicely on the bike. I believe it would fit well on my Ruttman, too, but might be too tall for my Lil' Indian. That would be the wrong thing to do, anyway.

Dead stock, w/centrifugal clutch. It has worked fine so far and moves me along very nicely. It surprised my much smaller friend and he flipped over backwards.

Prior to purchase I read that the hemi had more/better hot rod opportunities. I'll look into that later.

It's a hemi. Isn't that cool enough, right there? :D

HF part #s, per OldMiniBikes:

69730 - Non-hemi
69727 - Non-hemi EPA (California use)
60363 - Hemi

I74

The non Hemi 212 & 79cc Predator rocker config. & mounting,, is an absolute joke, compared to the ''very stout'' & ''side slop free'' - Hemi config.

Reading the Karting forums, it looks like the non-Hemi is preferred if you're doing major mods. Some are even running the Hemi bottom end with the non-Hemi head. You can do more mods with the non-Hemi head.

For mild mods & putting around, the Hemi is the better choice.

I prefer the hemi as it uses the GX200 sidecover gasket and clone billet sidecover, clone cams not the predator specific cams, and comes with thin ring flattop pistons. I however do not run them stock and have a large supply of hemi and non hemi heads. The one drawback of the hemi is the flywheel crank taper. Uses a unique ARC flywheel with a Kohler taper.

The Hemi is a newer design with more power than the older non-Hemi, but the difference is minimal. The non-Hemi is more versatile, when it comes to major engine mods.

GustoGuy

The Hemi is a newer design with more power than the older non-Hemi, but the difference is minimal. The non-Hemi is more versatile, when it comes to major engine mods.
That is true about the non-hemi version is there are more hop-up parts available for it. On Red Beard's Garage, he built a 23hp non-hemi Predator 212cc with the special roller rocker arms and special valve cover as well as the billet Flywheel and connecting rod and stainless steel valves and chrome-moly push rods and a high lift cam to allow more power at higher rpms. As well as the billet side panel for the case which stiffens up the Predator engine significantly to reduce side to side flexing.

delray

That is true about the non-hemi version is there are more hop-up parts available for it. On Red Beard's Garage, he built a 23hp non-hemi Predator 212cc with the special roller rocker arms and special valve cover as well as the billet Flywheel and connecting rod and stainless steel valves and chrome-moly push rods and a high lift cam to allow more power at higher rpms. As well as the billet side panel for the case which stiffens up the Predator engine significantly to reduce side to side flexing.
I hate to bust you bubble,but there is no way in hell that engine on red beard garage is putting out 23hp. maybe if he did little more mods and ran some methanol. takes a lot mods to make a small block produce 23hp. especially on pump gas and the mods that he did where just bolt stuff and that won't cut it.

GustoGuy

I hate to bust you bubble,but there is no way in hell that engine on red beard garage is putting out 23hp. maybe if he did little more mods and ran some methanol. takes a lot mods to make a small block produce 23hp. especially on pump gas and the mods that he did where just bolt stuff and that won't cut it.
It is quite amazing the amount of hop up parts for the Predator 212cc engines in both the non-hemi and hemi versions. Porting and polishing the exhaust and intake will help a bit but at only 212cc 20hp may be the max but still that is really impressive. My stage 1 non hemi 212cc absolutely runs away from my Arctic Cat Prowler re-powered with a Tecumseh H50.