predator 212 isn’t starting.

i just installed a new mikuni clone vm22 carb, and it won’t start? it’s getting gas into the bowl. i kinda cleaned the carb with carb spray and checked for build up and there was none. it starts on starter fluid and then dies. the gasket is a little crappy but not that bad. as i said it still starts on starter fluid and then dies. so it can’t be too bad. what could be the problem?

please help - thank you

benjamin

Thepaetsguy

so i put my hand over the filter mount, and it briefly started. it only started when i did that. what could that be?
You used your hand as a choke blocking the air inlet instead of using the enrichment circuit. the big hole only lets air in. the needle valve along with the idle/main jet determine fuel. First off you need a new gasket. sounds like the intake gasket you have leaks so bad it won’t stay running. use your hand as a choke. as soon as it goes to stall tap your hand against the inlet with the filter off. It might pick back up then go to stall again. tap Your hand against the intake again and just see if you can keep it going for a bit. either way if it picks up like I said you have an air leak.

River Rat Ron

so i put my hand over the filter mount, and it briefly started. it only started when i did that. what could that be?
It’s not getting gas. Since that’s a new carb return it. If not disassemble it and blow it out with compressed air. Like stated above. If you can’t do that put the old carb back on and try again later after reading about that particular carb.

Harquebus

Obviously not getting enough fuel if it starts with you hand choking it. Stop using starting spray, it's a cop-out and it means nothing except wow, yes your engine will fire on starting fluid but you are basically bypassing the carburetor.

some of you fellows deserve a medal for your patience, knowledge and generosity. My hat is off to you all!
I know right? Trying to diagnose engine problems from miles away, sight unseen, and there's no video or pictures provided whatsoever, that's dedication.