predator 346cc engine wont start

Alright so I have a predator 346cc engine I've had it running fine. The next day I try to start it it didn't want to start. I've cleaned the carb took off the bowl to see if it was dirty clean as as whistle. I've checked the spark plug to see if it was getting a spark, I've set the gap on the spark plug. It seems like its not getting gas to the carb but it took off the hose to the gas tank to the carb and it was fine.

chrisr

If you take the carburetor off and blow into the hose from the tank to the carburetor it blows free and when the carburetor is turned upside down you cannot blow into the hose anymore? This checks to see if the fuel when the needle and seat is open the gas can get into the carburetor and shuts off when the float should stop because sometime the needle gets stuck in the seat or some debris gets stuck in the fuel passage in the carburetor and or the fuel shut off device on the carburetor is not working correctly.

Alright man I got the carb off right now if I blow into the carbrator when is up side down it won't let me blow into it any more and when it's upright it blows freely. Another thing I for got to mention is that this carb is practically new.

chrisr

if you put the carburetor back on it should be getting gas into the float bowl since it passed the right side up and up side down test. If its getting good gas, choke working with no carburetor to intake vacuum leaks and good strong spark it should start unless the timing is not right. Does it feel like it has good compression when you try to start it and did you try a new spark plug? Just trying to cover the basics.

I'm pretty sure it's the spark plug. I took it out tonight to look at it again and it looked bad. So I jusy went ahead and bought a new one.hopefully it will crank tomorrow

Alright man so it comes out that the spark plug was bad. But once I take it off of choke it dies and I've tried half choke and it's way to much I've tried a little bit of choke and it slowly dies..

chrisr

you may check for a torn carb to intake gasket causing a vacuum leak or intake to head gasket leak since it sounds like its lean now and that is why you have to put the chock on to make it richer. Not sure if there is an idle mixture screw or main jet screw, did it get turned in the troubleshooting? Sorry not familiar with the predator 346cc carbs.

Ok so I do have the idle and mixture adjustment it's just I have to play with it and get it just right.. it's wanting to bog when I give it gas and I tried to riches it and it sounds better and then when I try to start it. Then it's hard to start.. any suggestions?

chrisr

Not sure if this what you were seeing but I saw this on a different post. Sounds pretty similar to your problem.

"tried to drain all of the gas back into a gas can and noticed that it stopped flowing, I loosened the gas cap and it started to flow.
So I have vacuum problem in the tank.

I disconnected a hose to the vent on top of the tank it went to some kind of a filter than to the carburetor. This seemed to solve the fuel going to the carburetor problem.

It ran and did not die."

That's funny you said that cause I thought my gas tank filter was guncked up. And I took the hose off the carbrator and would barely spit gas out until I took off that gas lid. I'm going to try that. Thanks man

Alright man I've tried that too. And I've tuned it and it will start but I let it run on choke for a little bit and then it was able to run half choke and and it will slowly die. When I give it gas quick it will bog out when I have choke on it does the same thing I've tryied just pudding it on run and same thing will happen. It's so weird

Sorry for getting back to you so late.. but I've tried that and it did not work it will start and I'm not sure if it's tuned right but it will idle for about 20 seconds on half choke and them I try starting it on run and it still wants to die. I've came to the conclusion that it loves to be ran on choke but it still does not have that quick throttle response and there is no way for me to run it on choke all the time. I have no idea if it's the carbrator or a fuel problem .

chrisr

If it runs with the choke on its to lean whether its an intake leak or partial plugged main jet an or fuel delivery problem. Did you ever fix the "And I took the hose off the carbrator and would barely spit gas out until I took off that gas lid. I'm going to try that.". unless you get a nice flow of gas with the gas cap on or off you will being starving the main jet and it will run lean. If the carb cannot be cleaned like the main jet you may have to replace. Maybe someone else has some better suggestions. Sorry I could not be more help.