Predator 420cc on a db30

Lol need to go faster .. Don't think I would be happy with a built 212 plus the 420 has the same power stock. Just worried about the weight difference so that might be a big factor but the 420 will make a lot more torque so might not matter

2SlickNick

I imagine you would need to stretch and reinforce your mounting plate. Also the 420cc motor has a larger bolt pattern than the 212. There is a guy on YouTube somewhere from Detroit; I think... Call minidragbike or something like thAt. He uses a 420 not sure if t was a db of not.

125ccCrazy

a 420 in a db is going to take a lot of mods to make work... the engine is huge and will either have to be offset to the right way too far to get the clutch to line up with the rear sprocket or a jackshaft will be needed... The big blocks really need a big frame bike...

It still spins 3600 rpms in stock form. That's as fast as the chain setup will go. Only thing you'll gain is getting to top speed quicker.

After running a DB with a 212 and a TAV2 and dumping myself on my butt at first crack of the throttle, even when sitting at the front of the seat with all my 250 pounds, I can't imagine needing a bigger engine. But as I always say, a little overkill never hurt anybody. So if you're gonna do it, share pics ;-)

I dunno much about clutches. The only couple I had wouldn't even pull me up a small hill. Torque converter is where it's at. I would go as far as recommending that someone try a torque converter on the stock doodle bug engine first, and if that's not enough, then step up to a 4-5 hp engine. But if you want a real powerhouse, screw it. 212 predator with TAV, and call it a day. Of course it takes some hacking and welding to make it happen, so keep that in mind beforehand. Nothing a moderately skilled guy with a grinder and a welder can't handle, but it'll take some work.

Edit: I guess if you stretched yours, you already know your way around a grinder and welder. So disregard that part I guess ;-)

Last edited:
I think the 420 has a 1" PTO, doesn't it? You'll either need to machine it to 3/4" or spend $100 on a clutch! I'm telling you, you should just mod a pred. You'll find that modding them is a blast, and it's pretty addicting. I don't think you'll get a lot more speed out of the heavier 420, especially if you leave the gov in. 3600 rpms is always 3600 rpms. There's just a lot more torque. I can get my 196cc clone to between 7500 and 8000 rpms. It's not on a mini. I'd never want to make the DB go that fast. I can't tell you how much fun it was to build it. I've also got several motors in stock form (or mostly stock) that I use on the minis, and I'll leave them mostly alone. But every once in a while, I get the itch to do something to the clone on my kart. I don't know how much you'd have invested in a big block mounted up and running, but I doubt it would be a ton cheaper (unless you're going to get really stupid fast). Stick the numbers into a speed calculator and see what you could do with 7000 rpms. I bet you'd like what you see. 7000 is easy to get.

Not sure. You'd need to make sure you have a better carb and exhaust as well. If you go to Dyno Cams website, they have a list of all of their cams with specs. It tells you a target range for their cams. I have the CM cam, and I like it. I haven't heard much about the Black Mamba cams lately, but I always wanted to try one of those. I'd shoot for something around 275 lift. I'd also recommend going with 22 or 26 pound springs. I'd also look into a 22mm carb. That's what I want to do next. I have a Holy Moses cam from Dover, and it's okay. I just want to see what all the hype is with the 22mm Mikuni knock off carbs.