Predator dies when I give it throttle

As usual I tried searching for this but I was probably too wordy.
Anyhow the engine sounded pretty nice on the first fire up. It was extremely loud from the lack of a silencer on the end of the header. Went to run an errand and now when I give it throttle it dies. I didn't remove the governor and don't plan to. Does the governor arm need to be pointing in a certain direction? I did twist the fuel screw on the mikuni around but it didn't seem to make a difference what depth it was at. I'm thinking it's a jet needle size maybe?:shrug:

Heres' a vid.
Predator dies when you throttle - YouTube

Thanks boys and gals
Mike

dude it looks like your governor arm is bouncing all around all over the place and i have built motors with the governor still in them and yours doesnt look right at all. that arm is supposed to be still. if you follow the arm to the carburetor you will see it sticking into the throttle shaft by way of a little metal rod. on a correct build the throttle shaft will sit against the idle screw at idle so you can adjust the idle speed. your idle speed sounded off as well probably due to the lack of a return spring. a return spring will hold the governor arm back with a small amount of spring pressure.

dude it looks like your governor arm is bouncing all around all over the place and i have built motors with the governor still in them and yours doesnt look right at all. that arm is supposed to be still. if you follow the arm to the carburetor you will see it sticking into the throttle shaft by way of a little metal rod. on a correct build the throttle shaft will sit against the idle screw at idle so you can adjust the idle speed. your idle speed sounded off as well probably due to the lack of a return spring. a return spring will hold the governor arm back with a small amount of spring pressure.
No throttle shaft and no metal rod. He has a Mikuni. and no Gov.

You need a lesson on the gov. I will check back later. Ok I'm back. I see in your last post you taking off Mikuni. Hit back here if you have problems re hooking stock Carb and gov back. Gov does not work through through inside engine. It is controlled from inside on how fast engine spins and weights move the arm. The arm has to be Hooked up to Carb. The greatest mind in the world would have a tough time hooking gov to mikuni. If you want gov. You need the stock Carb.

Last edited:
You need a lesson on the gov. I will check back later. Ok I'm back. I see in your last post you taking off Mikuni. Hit back here if you have problems re hooking stock Carb and gov back. Gov does not work through through inside engine. It is controlled from inside on how fast engine spins and weights move the arm. The arm has to be Hooked up to Carb. The greatest mind in the world would have a tough time hooking gov to mikuni. If you want gov. You need the stock Carb.
Yes I do! :laugh: I really didn't know anything about engines until I started doing this back in October. So I just need to suck it up and spend $200 on billet parts if I want to use the Mikuni... got it. Thanks for the lesson. :thumbsup: