predator engine and kids?

I've ordered the install kit and 6.5 hp predator engine. Now I'm a little worried it might be too much for my kids, age 8 and 11. Is there a way to tame this beast and increase hp as they get older?

Ther is a throttle limiter screw my 9 year old rides all day long on his spyder with a predator in it with just a pipe airfilter and jets done to it and he is good they get used to it he rides it better then most ppl actually lol

Ther is a throttle limiter screw my 9 year old rides all day long on his spyder with a predator in it with just a pipe airfilter and jets done to it and he is good they get used to it he rides it better then most ppl actually lol
X-2... throttle stop screw

Thanks for the info. That makes me feel a lot better. I'm completely redoing the little doodle bug. I'll post some pics as soon as its done. This site and the people on it are amazing. Thank!

Thanks for the info. That makes me feel a lot better. I'm completely redoing the little doodle bug. I'll post some pics as soon as its done. This site and the people on it are amazing. Thank!
Like everyone else has said, throttle stop screw. Except when you ride it, turn it all the way down so you can appreciate it more :thumbsup:, and yea, a lot of great info on this forum!

Just a sugestion:

DOes ther old engine still run?

If they are small the lighter G100 engine might be better to start off with.
They will drop the bike, and need to pick it up.

I found that even with the throttle stop screw in the engine has a lot of power taking off, I'd take the 212cc back and get the 79cc which has way more power than the original engine and it will bolt into stock DB slots once you remove the adapter plate off the bottom of the baby Predator. I plan to use the 79cc on my Daughter's DB when I can get back working and breathing better.

on mine I can adjust it so it won't even move, not enough RPM to engage the maxtorque clutch.
A lot of differences from one engine to the other sometimes, I could never find a happy medium and everyone including adults wrecked my yellow DB because it was all or nothing throttle wise. I will have to straighten the forks once again before I put the Predator back in, I will be the only rider from now on. A 60 tooth sprocket helped me with my other one, only wheelied when you really rolled the throttle hard. That said I would just never put a youngster or inexperienced adult on a 6.5hp doodlebug again but that's just me, luckily nobody sued my homeowner's insurance given what it costs me already.

My stock motor runs but is worn completely out. It doesn't have enough power to pull my 8 year old up even the slightest hill. I'm really hoping the throttle set screw will limit the power of the 6.5 enough to provide power to get around but still be controllable and safe.

I'm almost 200 pounds, and I've been riding motorcycles of all sizes 50cc-900cc for a while. My DB with a governed 212 threw me off this summer. I hurt my wrist, but not nearly as bad as my pride. These things are wheelie machines if you're not careful. I'm not sure id stick an inexperienced rider on a mini with a 212. I'm trying to build an old Bird for my boys, and I think I'll go with the 97cc predator. I've got a Briggs Raptor on the work bench, but something tells me that is a bad idea.

Wow, opinions are all over the place on this issue. From, a great ride for a 9 year old to, a man eating death trap. I'm back to bring a little worried. My engine is suppose to be here Thursday. The mounting plate and clutch is still in Washington state, I live in West Virginia. I'm hoping to have it together by this weekend.

When you get it together and are ready to start, I would put the front wheel against something to keep bike from taking off. With just a little gas it can do a wheelie right after you start it. Then, you could be dancing around with it, minibike on it's back wheel, lol's.

Happened to me more than once, to my son-n-law too. Full disclosure: I didn't have the governor hooked up, so maybe very safe with governor and screw turned in, IDK. I disconnected the governor because I couldn't get it to work very well. Didn't mess with it very much, just seemed easier to bypass. :shrug:

Good luck, you have been warned. :scared:

Ok, I got my motor and conversion kit today, after 3 hours I got everything installed and was ready to test ride. The throttle restriction screw comes factory set at about 50%. For me at 230lbs this was plenty of power but way too much for my daughter age 11. After setting the screw to about 75% restriction it was perfect. Plenty of power to climb and go anywhere she wanted but still very controllable. I may have to turn it down even more when my 8 year old gets on. I was shocked by the power and torque of that 6.5.