Predator Mikuni?

Hey guys, I’m kind of a noob here getting into the karting/mini biking community. I’m am planning to purchase a predator 212 (preferably hemi) and put it on a frame. However I obviously want to take off the shitty air filter and exhaust. I am going to get a straight pipe header, fully remove the governor, and get a clone Mikuni kit off of amazon and install it. But, I have a few questions. First, how do I fill the hole from the governor and the oil sensor if I take that out?

Second, since the clone Mikuni is a higher end carb, will it be too much for the stock cam, valve springs, and flywheel to handle? Or will I need to replace them? (I would prefer not to)

Thanks -IcePS

no' there is a danger of magnet coming off flywheel and destroying the motor or if rod is not clearance it could seize to crank and break (depending on factory tolerances). Without the governor the rpm's could be anywhere between 5k and 6500. I would not trust stock flywheel past 5000 rpm.

On the plus side, with a billet rod and flywheel you can rev it really high with no danger. but the stock parts will likely fail and possibly injure you or others.
It’s like building anything, got to pay to play lol

Go post on Reddit on r/minibikes if you want people to tell you it's ok to not run the billet rod and flywheel when removing the governor. There's the bonus that 90% of the people that post on there have no clue what they're doing.

As far as I'm concerned, a billet rod and flywheel are mandatory when removing the governor. There's a right way and a wrong way to do things. People like the wrong way since it's cheaper.

NR Racing has the Chikunis for fairly cheap. Still need to buy an intake and throttle cable though.

http://www.nrracing.com/product-p/22mm-mikuni-gas-carb-spc.htm

On the plus side, with a billet rod and flywheel you can rev it really high with no danger. but the stock parts will likely fail and possibly injure you or others.
It’s like building anything, got to pay to play lol
That's why I like having the billet parts installed. One less thing to worry about. A 4+pound cast iron flywheel coming apart at 5000+ rpm is not something I want to experience. That or a rod failure will destroy the engine and possibly injure you/cause you to wreck.

Last edited:

DaddyJohn

I’m am planning to purchase a predator 212 (preferably hemi) and put it on a frame. However I obviously want to take off the shitty air filter and exhaust. -IcePS
If you haven't ridden a mini with a Predator 212 on it before, you might be pleasantly surprised at just how much oomph a stock engine has.

It depends on your goals for the build, but it the end, there's no reason you can't enjoy the mini in basic tune while you save up for proper parts.