predator mods that can be done without aftermarket flywheel

recently purchased a predator 212 from harbor freight im getting ready to order parts to mount it to my db30 i keep reading about the dangers of the flywheel exploding when modding these engines... whats the most i can do with this motor safely before it is needed to upgrade to an aluminum flywheel ? and whats the likely hood of the stock flywheel actually exploding or breaking

i was going to order the box stock parts kit from OldMiniBikes as well as a header
http://www.OldMiniBikes.com/Box-Stock-Parts-Kit-Harbor-Freight-
Greyhound.html

can i use everything in this kit safely without upgrading the flywheel ?

also is a fuel pump necessary since i don't plan to remove the gov

Bad link.

I wouldn't do anymore than air filter, jetting, and a header. You could do an ARC rod, but not really needed until you need the flywheel.

Secret of the flywheel is not removing the governor.

On edit: The stock performance difference between the DB motor and the Predator will keep you happy for a while. Then save up for billet.

Last edited:
You won't need a fuel pump unless you plan on mounting the gas tank below the level of the carb. You should be fine with the kit you ordered. Don't expect huge gains in power. If you want to go faster, you'll need more RPMs. If you want more RPMs, you'll want to upgrade to some billet parts. My DB30 only has minimal upgrades, and it is fine for now. I have a clone with several mods, and it is a blast!

Bad link.

I wouldn't do anymore than air filter, jetting, and a header. You could do an ARC rod, but not really needed until you need the flywheel.

Secret of the flywheel is not removing the governor.

On edit: The stock performance difference between the DB motor and the Predator will keep you happy for a while. Then save up for billet.
:thumbsup:

Box Stock Parts Kit sorry there is the link its got top plate/throttle hookup, upgraded billet air filter adapter, choke hold, pulse inlet fitting, Walbro fuel pump, angled air filter, longer carb stud, Hi-Tension valve springs for Box Stock, 5' fuel hose, Big Bertha Chain guard/heat shield, AR3910x spark plug.

i just dont want to waste 90 dollars to have parts sitting around if i cant use them without the flywheel and rod is there any benefit to using a fuel pump right now seeing as though i wont be taking it passed governed rpms

As mentioned above the purpose of the fuel pump is not to boost performance but to enable the engine to run with a non stock located fuel tank
Due to hydrostatic head for every 12 inches of rise you gain aprox 1/2 psi of fuel pressure

Box Stock Parts Kit sorry there is the link its got top plate/throttle hookup, upgraded billet air filter adapter, choke hold, pulse inlet fitting, Walbro fuel pump, angled air filter, longer carb stud, Hi-Tension valve springs for Box Stock, 5' fuel hose, Big Bertha Chain guard/heat shield, AR3910x spark plug.

i just dont want to waste 90 dollars to have parts sitting around if i cant use them without the flywheel and rod is there any benefit to using a fuel pump right now seeing as though i wont be taking it passed governed rpms
You won't need the top plate or the fuel pump. Check to see if there is a cheaper set up without those parts.

Let me boil this down a bit more.

You need billet of the flywheel is to be spun faster than stock.
Things get grey around that statement because you can cheat the stock parts and add 1000 rpm without removing the governor.

Risks:
Pile up the governor's internal plastic parts from over speed and the inside of your engine will resemble a bowl of smashed eggs.

DO change the jetting.
DO add a filter and header kit if you like ( stay small on the exhaust )
DO add compression with a GX160 head if you like ( you may want to use the ARC billet rod however this does introduce some extra pressure and wear on internal parts ).

DO what ever you like as long as you do not exceed the normal operational speed as set by the governor.

DON'T come back crying if you blew it up from over speeding.
At the heart of this is the simple premiss that an engine is an air pump and anything you do to improve this will make more power ( true )
Also anything you do to improve the efficiency of the engine will make more power ( also true ).

The rest is up to you.

yeah they sell just the air filter, exhaust and linkage separate so ill probably do that i just figured for 25 more what id already pay i might as well buy that kit if i eventually would end up the rest of the parts ill be mounting my tank on my frame above the motor

That's why I stay away from packages, unless every part is needed.

You could probably advance your timing some with the stock market wheel but really with a govenor its pointless trying to get more performance. All you're doing is hitting the red line faster. The cutting in and out is annoying so to me adding billet parts let's me enjoy a smooth ride with no surging

That's why I stay away from packages, unless every part is needed.

You could probably advance your timing some with the stock market wheel but really with a govenor its pointless trying to get more performance. All you're doing is hitting the red line faster. The cutting in and out is annoying so to me adding billet parts let's me enjoy a smooth ride with no surging
No more timing will not help.

Just to illustrate a point here is a governed clone with a little work done to it ( at very little cost ).

It does not hunt spit fart bog ect because of its governor.
It has a high compression head, a small header and improved filter and jetting.

You can tell this is mostly stock by the head light.....

100 9289 - YouTube

just do away with the heat shield the spark plug and the high airflow adapter the spark plug its really not going to give you one extra horsepower I don't know where they get that from o yeah I know for people like you getting on there an seeing holly crap 1hp trust me its a business there going to say whatever they want for ya money I run stock plug in its a beast with it. you don't need that exspensive billet air filter that has so much more air flow ask the people on here just like me the regular one works just as fine its like if your doing serious mods to need some serious air then yes I would recommend the billet air flow one. since your not going to rev over the govern then theres no need for the hi tension springs either what good are they going to do if you don't get over 4000 rpms 5500 rpm is when the stock springs start to float the valves your just wastin your money hate to tell you.just like the other guys said you don't need the pump if you can use your factory tank gravity feed is just as good all you are doing is filling the bowl on the carb its not like you need psi for the motor to run or nor will it give you horse power. if I was you I would buy the arc billet rod, arc sfi flywheel 32 degrees already set to the flywheel,a mod 2 cam, open air filter and a header get the etube 140 with a 36-37 jet, after installing cam an removing the govern then you can get the hi tension springs. just with the setup you want don't expect it to do much from stock maybe lil bit of torque on take off but thatll b it put the rod in the flywheel on there the most exspensive and drive it for awhile until you can save money o an the cam to bc you don't wanna keep on opening up the motor do those first then go to the 14cc head in go bigger valves that are stainless cuz want the motor to hold up and the chromemolly pushrods

I agree with Mike. I don't think you'll feel much of a difference from the stock motor with those mods, and you'll end up disappointed. Going fast can be spendy. If you're looking for speed, go with billet first. A cam is going to help a lot, but you'll probably want to upgrade the whole valve train with the cam. You can make these motors a beast. They might be a little more than what you want on a mini for neighborhood cruising. Keep in mind, it's only a single speed. If you use a speed calculator, you'll be able to see what your mini can do with gearing. If you want to go fast, you'll get there slowly. If you want tons of torque, you'll be topping out pretty quickly.

yes ,if you are looking for speed you better dig deep into them pockets in start grabbing Benjamin's. its cost a lot to go fast. start with billet rod and aluminum fly wheel remove governor see what she does.. if we could all change our spark plugs to get 1 hp we would all have nothing to write about on here if its that easy.. its not that easy, there not telling in the description that it gives you a 1 hp gain with a stock motor. yes maybe if you have huge ports, an running on methanol/racing fuel and a large intake valve motor that is fully made for racing then yes it does give you a lil advantage for running the nascar sparkplug but on your stock motor save your 7 bucks cause its not worth it.