pressure washers

anybody know anything about pressure washer pumps? Or know of any diys
i picked up one at a GS for 25 bucks guy said was weak but I fired it up and was not so bad really?

MB165

check the nozzle on the gun, it might just have something partially blocking it.

they have alot of problems with the unloaders, the valve that puts them into bypass when you let off the trigger. Sometimes if they are weak a check-valve could have something in it not allowing it to close fully. there usually around six check-valves 3 input and 3 output. get some pump saver (home depot sells it in a aerosol can, and see if it helps. otherwise pull it apart and see if a valve is messed up.

I should add the guy said some kid was running it and let the pump crankcase run with no oil (not the engine) I never saw a p/w like this before? I changed the oil after taking the piston pump thingy apart and back together the oil was gray with water.ran it a few min
thought it would fill with water and turn murkey but no??

MB165

yeah the oil is usually always grey, water, thats bad, seals are fried, he probably ran it without water. they are very sensitive, just a few seconds of running without water and damage can occur.
if everything else is in good shape and you like it enough, put a new pump on it. you can find them new for $100 or < on ebay, I got one from OMBW last summer for mine and use it alot its working good not one issue. but make sure to put it away with a shot of pump saver each time.

http://www.OldMiniBikes.com/search....re+washer+pump&by_fulldescr=Y&by_shortdescr=Y

Last edited:
i'm gonna try that pump saver
stuff...thanks...been out in the rain for 2 days :doah: I really got to stop buying stuff LOL

Hent

i'm gonna try that pump saver
stuff...thanks...been out in the rain for 2 days :doah: I really got to stop buying stuff LOL
the pump saver is preventative maintenance, not a repair.

most pumps are $100 or less - if the machine is in overall good condition its a good deal.

what kind of pressure washer is it?