problem with removing tire from rim halves.

Why is it such a pain to get the haves of a two piece rim off the tire on a mini bike?
In the process of mounting a new tire on a new rim I put hole in the tube so now I need to get the rim halves off the tire to put in a new tube and it is proving to be almost impossible. Before mounting the tire, I went around the inside of the tire and rim with a sanding disk and put a bit of grease on the rim but none seems to have made any difference getting back off now. I put it in the vice to break the bead and that worked but the rim halves still refuse to come out of the tire. I put the whole thing in the freezer to make the rubber hard and hopefully contract the aluminum rim. I'll be trying again tonight.

The problem is not breaking the bead, the problem is just getting the center of the wheel out of the tire. I already did a search, and tried all the suggestions. If the tire was old I would just cut the wheel off but it's brand new, and I really don't want to buy a new one. If and when I get this off I believe I'm going to turn down the inside of the rim halves a couple of thousands up to about a half inch from the bead. This really shouldn't be this difficult.

buckeye

Run it over with your truck.
Usually works for me.
Just have to buy another one. But, at least this one won't ever frustrate you again.:hammer:

Yeah, something sounds amiss. Those are the easy ones for me. And usually they are all hard for me.:laugh:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Bead Wedge OR Bead Wedge Hammer, Both cost about the same. Also Mini Tire Spoons will make your tire changing life easier.
For just about any small to mid sized tire you could own or think of.
The Trick is knowing how to use them. Or in how to make something you have work for you.
Ken-Tool 32126 Bead-Breaking Tool / Driving Iron T26A

OTC Tools 5789ID-1032 Tire Service Hammer 10lb Head 32in length

Don't matter how but , with the least amount of damage, you need to push the bead down.

I would make a nylon bead wedge, to cause the least amount of damage to your rim & tire.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=Tire...&ei=0uo-VYD-J8-lyATXrYAg&ved=0CCIQsAQ#imgrc=_

Last edited:
I finally got it apart, I made 6 lengths of rope and tied a loop around each spoke of the two halves of the rim, attached a d ring to either side and one side was attached to a tree, then attached the other to the back of my truck, shot the inside of the rims with liquid wrench then moved the truck forward......it actually held the truck in place....so I put it in gear and pulled one side out. Rather drastic but it worked. I saved the pieces of rope incase I have to do it again some day.