Problems with new TillotsonTCT

So we just got a new tct for one of our mini bikes to test it. we use ours for hunting and we drive them over some very rough terrain so we wanted the extra torque they claimed. anyways we are very disatisfied becuase it just seems to work poorly. first of all the performance isnt any better and it was slower with the governor engaged, we disengaged the governor and it seems to run out of gas at the top end so it doesnt really rev out. also the sitw just says "we can adjust the mixture through out the rev range" Well how do i do that? the only adjustment it has is the mixture screw. its kinda making me mad tbh

Daniel Coop

I had similar results years ago when they first came out. Probably could have found the old thread here before purchasing. Our shop, Studz Racing won't even sell them anymore

mines tuned with the stock parts, just modded and ported air box and muffler, slightly tuned jet, spark gap. all the little things, anyways it is fast than his with or with out the tct

SAS289

mines tuned with the stock parts, just modded and ported air box and muffler, slightly tuned jet, spark gap. all the little things, anyways it is fast than his with or with out the tct
My "stock" 200U has a filter kit, 140 e tube and a .033" jet and it runs good for what it is. I'm going put a 224 muffler on it. The 224 muffler has a 7/8" inlet pipe compared to the appx 5/8" inlet pipe on the 196. Might pick up a sliver of performance from it.

My "stock" 200U has a filter kit, 140 e tube and a .033" jet and it runs good for what it is. I'm going put a 224 muffler on it. The 224 muffler has a 7/8" inlet pipe compared to the appx 5/8" inlet pipe on the 196. Might pick up a sliver of performance from it.
ok neat, do you have any advice on the tct or are you just bragging, doesnt really sound stock either. if you put a new intake and muffler and retuned a car its deffinately not stock lol.

A few years ago my son and I did some performance upgrades on a Tecumseh HS50, (e.g., remove governor, billet rod, valves, header, air filter change). We also "tried" a Tilly carb on it. Try as we may, (and after a lot of frustration), we could never get it to run correctly, much less any better than the stock Tec carb. My advice to you is to ditch that Tilly carb and just do some upgrades to your stock carb as has already been mentioned. Personally, for an engine that is stock or only mildly upgraded, I think these Tilly carb replacement suggestions/claims are way overrated and do not make sense...
Michael

Last edited:
A few years ago my son and I did some performance upgrades on a Tecumseh HS50, (e.g., remove governor, billet rod, valves, header, air filter change). We also "tried" a Tilly carb on it. Try as we may, (and after a lot of frustration), we could never get it to run correctly, much less any better than the stock Tec carb. My advice to you is to ditch that Tilly carb and just do some upgrades to your stock carb as has already been mentioned. Personally, for an engine that is stock or only mildly upgraded, I think these Tilly carb replacement suggestions/claims are way overrated and do not make sense...
Michael
gotcha, i really hate this over hyped bs with very little actually information espacially compared to the amount they claim to have IE tillotson claiming they can be fully adjusted and improve torque and what not.

This thread is very confusing. Is everyone talking about the tillotson tct clone carb, or some confusing it with a tillotson hl style diaphragm carb?
no i got a real tilly tct carb and was having some problems with it. im going make another thread covering what i did to fix it and what the results are becuase i cant find really any info on it.