Project 301

I managed to take it for a ride and the thing was a death trap lol. The brake pads were glazed over and didn't work (was doing 40mph when I found out). I stripped it down for the winter to do some final welding and I'm adding a set xr80 fork tubes and a front brake. Progress has been slow. The exhaust sounds great.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Daniel Coop

Madtom, I dig your bike! Not normally a fan of the Warriors, but bikes like yours and Doug's show the possibilities with them... What if anything have you done to the 301 besides the torque converter? I was doing some research today and because I can't really afford a legit Intek 305-341 build, am considering building a 301 Predator as a poor-man's alternative next. Apparently they share parts with the GX240/270. Oddball and not much available, but there is some stuff... Physically smaller than the 420cc, but not much. Narrower though, and lighter... Interesting motor. Only 1 & 1/2 HP more than a 212, but nearly double the torque.

Right now all I've done is just made the exhaust and added a gps pod filter and their 301 jet. Also recently put a arc top plate. I only paid $88 for this engine new on a open box clearance sale at harbor freight. I'm mad at myself not too long ago they had a 420 for sale with the same open box deal for $120 Went back the next day it was sold.

Madtom

What handlebars did you use?

I like like to copy your bars if that’s OK
Honestly, I have no idea what they are. My friend brought them over one day saying he had "the perfect bars" for my bike. I think they were off a bicycle definitely not motorcycle bars.

MJL

Still following. I just heard we are getting a Harbor Freight. I'll have to troll the clearance section! I'm a big fan of torque;)

Progress has been slow, I haven't worked on it. Been working on " dad's minbike" project. I also just bought a project truck for my 40th birthday that's consuming funds. When the weather gets warm I'll get back on the 301

You are correct. 1988 4wd 5spd 7" lift

I have had 7 or 8 Rangers but never a 4WD. I had an 83 with a 302 and a C-4 that was a lot of fun for a long time. I got the wild hair to sell it and regret it still. I drive an 03 with a 4.0 SOHC and that little motor is pretty quick. I have a wrecked 93 4.0/5speed and am looking for a 90 - 91 - 92 standard cab to put the driveline in. I don't like the 93 up beds. They are smaller cargo capacity than the 92 back beds. Thus the reason I wont fix the 93...

Still needs a little work but took her for a good test ride today. It runs so nice! Very happy with the overall set up.
20180528_135423.jpeg

I got this thing running great now I'm moving on to phase 2 which is adding headlight, turn signals, brake light. I scoured the net looking for a light kit for a minibike and no one makes one so I've pieced together my own. 12v razor scooter battery, ebay handle bar switch and 7" led brake/ turn signal strip, led flasher. Need a brake switch but for bench testing I wired it to the horn button. So far so good.