Project "Blue Angel/F#!K Cancer"- GX390 Powered MiniBike

I am not sure what to call this one (not that my projects need names, lol). In keeping my promise to make an attempt to move forward and remain positive, I decided to share a project I have been working on more recently and get you guys and gals a little better caught up on it!

A few months ago, I hit a bit of a bad spell in terms of dealing with my fight against cancer. Of course I had continued to be positive (especially/mainly) outwardly and remain true to myself, but, I had honestly lost quite a bit of motivation. Im pretty sure most werent able to tell (other than my wife and a few close friends).

Since I got into minibikes, from the very beginning, I intended to build one (smh) and a very specific one. I wanted to start out with a Temecula Bob frame and put my touch on it. Alot has changed since then. Bob and I have become very close. A while back, I told him I wanted a specific type of minibike frame from him (not that I cannot make my own frames, etc. but that he and his are special to me). I gave him a few specs and requested that an older school style front fork spring suspension be made for it. Typically it may take a while to get something as specific as I wanted it... and i would never rush or expect anything other than what can be done, when he wants to do it!

To make a longer story shorter, Bob came to visit me one day, a few months back. On this particular day, I wasnt as strong as i usually am and im sure he could tell. A few days later, he returned and left this and I am 100% sure he did this in hopes to give me a push and some much needed motivation...

I wasnt expecting it... and i know he had to work really hard to build it as fast as he did. it was enough to push me forward toward a more positive momentum. Through this situation I have been in, the most important thing for my type of mind, is for me to feel like the bad situation is not "beating me". One way that I do this, is by trying to not let it stop me from progressing. I often measure this progression through projects. In other words, I really needed to vent. And this project is an expression of some of this venting process. Not the best, but the best I could do, each time I pushed myself to get in the garage...

Having something very specific in mind for this project, I added some bracing to the front and rear sections of the frame. these are adjustible braces, but they dont need to be... I wanted them to be removeable and using the rod ends, etc, would flow well with the rest of the bike... I also am new to tig welding, so used and will continue to use the tig welding process on this build...

being too lazy to hand cut and router the seat pan, I programmed it in cad and had a friend cnc cut it out.. i went to an upholstery shop, and the owner upholstered the seat while i waited, as i wanted the stitching to be specific and the shape of the foam to be specific.. he did a great job in a very short time...

I then took a trip down to another close friend's house (JD Ayers). He too wanted to be a part of this project and had been working on building the engine for me... It is a GX390ish, unspecified specs :) but it does have some nice titanium and custom bits in it...

i also had previously made a custom mount for the fuel pump that mounts on the engine, since JD sometimes refers to our group as SS Motors (Secret Shit), I figured dollar signs would be appropriate... not talking about money, but SS Motors... lots of hidden jewels in and around this engine...

i made an exhaust for it... tuned/staged to a specific length for this build... wanted the curve of the exhaust to be as gradual as possible, without sticking out too far...
i used exhaust flanges, i programmed and laser cut a while ago... these are larger than the typical gx390 exhaust outlet would be, to get me closer to matching the port on the head (when i port matched it)

the engine isnt mounted onto the plate at this point, but i took this into consideration prior to welding it up and made it where it would fit regardless of the final location of the engine...

the head is fully welded and the intake port heavily modified.. i programmed an intake flange that would closely fit the new profile and i printed it out on my printer.. glued it to some scrap aluminum and began to make the intake...

shaped it on the belt sander best i could...

after mocking it all up, welded the appropriate diameter tubing to the flange... i actually welded it up, inside and out, and port matched it to the head...

Glad to see you posting again G !!! As usual your work amazes me ....
thank you!

i tried to make the bead around the bolts holes as small as possible, but i wanted this intake to be as nice as i could make it, so i used my poor mans mill to massage the intake, where the bolts would sit flat and be easy to screw in and out...

after roughing in the inside of the intake, where the welding was... i put it on the head and it fits nicely... i still need to finish the texture in the intake and add a bung for the wet nitrous system...