Project Cat Duster ..

I figured I would get on this project. I was going to dump this frame,but everybody loves it.

When I got this it was WORSE than pictures could entail. There were 4 footpegs? welded on of some sort that somebody with a harbor freight wire feed and no welding skills put on, the same guy extended the scrub brake lever and must have welded the motor plate on as well as some funky motor leveler lol .. He welded about 5 huge washers to the scrub brake as well.The motor was FAR to the right to line up the sprockets so guy made more mount holes and more welding instead of put the clutch sprocket inside.

This is when I got her:..

I stripped her to frame and forks ready for work.. He WELDED the motor mount bolts on so that was fun..

HOLY WELDS BATMAN!! more than an inch thick in some places..

More welding skills!! Thanks dude!

His welding skills are like my photo skills.. Grinded the front tabs off..

Last edited:
The motor plate and welds were a BIG sloppy mess as well as the scrub brake welds . I cut the scrub brake completely off I will be doing a rear disc setup I'll keep the bracket on though for future use maybe or future owner.. He burned through on the bottom tubing making a large hole were one of his makeshift pegs were. I cut a hunk of his existing welds and bent it into the hole and molded it in with the flap wheel to make my filling with the welder easier.

I tried to smooth the motor plate welds into the frame the best I could. There are some low spots , but I will come in with filler later and smooth and blend everything just trying to get the metal work done. I went through 2 cutting discs and 3 fan wheels.. Metal work is far from done.

I will be mocking up motor and wheels on Friday.. I am going with a 13 x 5 wide x 6 rear tire. I have not decided on wheels yet. The motor will be a CLONE 6.5 I will buy as well on friday. This will be Temporary until I get all my Flathead parts in for my 5HP. Unless I really like the clone.

To keep costs down I will save the motor plate and weld in patches for the unneeded holes..

The low spots on the bottom's are from the original foot peg location's. His footpegs were on the front frame before the motor plate.

Burn through hole semi-covered thanks to his extra welds lol..

lol, this would be too much work for me! question, it looks like you already have the original disc brake mount, was the scrub brake added later? which came first, the caliper or the scrub? :biggrin: good luck to you, i hope you can get this frame sturdy enough for riding again.

lol, this would be too much work for me! question, it looks like you already have the original disc brake mount, was the scrub brake added later? which came first, the caliper or the scrub? :biggrin: good luck to you, i hope you can get this frame sturdy enough for riding again.
Thanks.. I think they had provisions for both from the factory with what I get from other members duster's pictures... The rear disc was a caliper on sprocket type which I probably will implement again with a front disc setup as well. I'm not to fond of scrub brakes because tires are expensive.

Bike is at the sandblasters. I welded up all the burn through and reinforced them.. When I get it back I will start smoothing and filling the frame. I want the welds to look seamless is my goal. I will not powdercoat , but use some 3 stage Mercedes paint I have in my garage.