Project Predator Advise

Hello, I was hoping to get a little help from you guys. I'm working on this Baja that I have had for about 5 years. I swapped out the engine for a Predator 212 (non-Hemi), I have a GTC TC2 torque converter, aftermarket exhaust, 2" air intake, carb jetted to .036 as my current set up, nothing crazy... Every year I like to put a little something on it for the season, it keeps it fun and I enjoy working on it. I just put the new motor on last year, so it has only has 5.7 hours on it.

This year, I wanted to take it up a notch so I picked up an ARC 6695 flywheel, 6256 rod, a DJ-1103P CAM, and some 26lbs valve springs. This is my first dive into an engine however I'm feeling confident. Just wanted to see what your thoughts would be on this. If you could share any tips to make this smoother, any other things I should be keeping in mind or upgrading to make this set up work better? Like some question I keep asking myself is, should I offset the flywheel and if I were to, what degree would be optimal? Will I be getting enough fuel out of the .036 jet? Anything else you guys can think of I'm open for all suggestions. Thank you!

Edit*
I'm assuming not to offset the flywheel as it's set to 32 degrees already, but with the DJ-1103P cam would it make a difference if I did offset it?

Last edited:

Davis

No need to advance any farther than that. I would look into some champion rockers. Use a thinner head gasket and do some port work. And a 22mm chickuni carb.

No need to advance any farther than that. I would look into some champion rockers. Use a thinner head gasket and do some port work. And a 22mm chickuni carb.
Thank you for the input Davis! I was looking into the 22mm carb, I was thinking that was going to be my addition for next year. Do you think I will have fuel issues without it though? That cam has an extended duration and that's why I'm questioning if the factory carb with the .036 jetting would be enough. I'm sure it would run a lot better with the 22mm carb, but just wondering if what I have would support it for the time being.

I think your combo will kick up performance quite a bit. The cam you got has a lot of duration but not much lift. If you go to a ported big valve head you would not get much gain due to the low .224 lift. The 22mm will improve power over the stock carb at higher rpm with your current config but the stock carb will benefit the low end if jetted correctly. Next year if you change the carb you could also go with ratio rockers. Is your predator a newer one with the 27/25 valves?

SAS289

I think your combo will kick up performance quite a bit. The cam you got has a lot of duration but not much lift. If you go to a ported big valve head you would not get much gain due to the low .224 lift. The 22mm will improve power over the stock carb at higher rpm with your current config but the stock carb will benefit the low end if jetted correctly. Next year if you change the carb you could also go with ratio rockers. Is your predator a newer one with the 27/25 valves?
I have a question about this cam. We know you can't use stock springs with it, but can you use 18lb springs? What if you will not be running the engine above say 5K RPM?

Dyno specs 26 lb springs for it and a 7000 max rpm. Depending on your install height they usually have less than 26 lbs spring pressure on the seat.

I can't thank you guys enough for the help! I say next year on the carb but if it's not running good I'm going to just buy IT and listen to the ol' lady yell at me for spending another $100 on it, LOL! As for the springs , they stated on the specs that it needed 26 lbs, so that's why I went the the 26.

So, from what I'm getting from you guys is the 22mm carb and some better rockers, and I should be golden?

It is a newer HF 212 (purchased last year) so I'm assuming it is the 27/25 valves. I'll be popping the head off this weekend so I will be able to verify if that's true over the weekend. Ultimately, I'm looking for big low end power as I don't have much land to ride on and I enjoy cornering and being able to get over rougher terrain. I appreciate your input!

delray

It is a newer HF 212 (purchased last year) so I'm assuming it is the 27/25 valves. I'll be popping the head off this weekend so I will be able to verify if that's true over the weekend. Ultimately, I'm looking for big low end power as I don't have much land to ride on and I enjoy cornering and being able to get over rougher terrain. I appreciate your input!
it's all about how you gear it and torque converter(if that's what you are going to use?) you won't really need different ratio rockers. thats for more top end power if need it. cam you pick is kind of aggressive stock lift cam wide lobes. if i am correct when installing ratio rockers(1.3) on that type of cam you should bump up the springs with 32 pound dual springs and if you go with true roller rockers you will need 32's for sure. heavier rocker can also be more aggressive with the springs.

SAS289

I don't know about anyone else but after this comment "Ultimately, I'm looking for big low end power as I don't have much land to ride on and I enjoy cornering and being able to get over rougher terrain" I would be looking at a gearing change or torque converter mod and wouldn't touch the engine.

I don't know about anyone else but after this comment "Ultimately, I'm looking for big low end power as I don't have much land to ride on and I enjoy cornering and being able to get over rougher terrain" I would be looking at a gearing change or torque converter mod and wouldn't touch the engine.
I have a GTC TC2 Series 30 torque converter on there already and I should be a little clearer when I say I don't have that much land to ride on, I have 2 acres and it's uneven grassy terrain so trying to get the minibike to go 60 mph isn't really a priority as with the Baja not having any rear suspension it doesn't make for a comfortable ride when you hit the dips in the grass at a high speeds. I'm not going to get it up that fast on 2 acres anyways. If I were to break the law and ride it on the street, well that's another story... But I like to be a law abiding citizen. I still have the 60 tooth sprocket on the wheel and the torque converter has a 10T for the #420 chain. I wouldn't mind exploring options into changing the gears around to get a little extra out of it. This year I'm focusing on the engine to get a little more power out of her and to get that governor out so we can jump up the RPMs a little. I feel like it's a good place to go next seeing all the other simple mods have been done like indexing the spark plug, torque converter, exhaust, intake and jetted the carb.
Don't get me wrong that little bike is a beast, I have topped it out at 47 mph when I was not obeying the law and took it for a speed run on the street. and if you hit the gas too hard she will stand up as it is now. I don't really need to do anything else to it, but where is the fun in that? What would you consider for a gearing change on that set up?

SAS289

I do agree that it is fun to work on these bikes and make changes.

I'm no expert on torque converters but you may look into delaying the belt shift to allow higher RPM longer. For a gearing change you could install a 9 tooth to go with the 60. I hear this is nice gearing for the tall tire bikes like Baja and Colemans when a torque converter is installed. And you could easily switch back to the 10 tooth if you don't like it.

I opened it up yesterday, and gutted everything out and it does have the 27/25 valves.

delray

This?

https://www.gopowersports.com/super-30-series-driver-the-juggernaut/

I'll have to double check that it will fit but that seems a like a good move with this set up!!! I'll need to get the 22mm carb so I can use the higher rpms. So, what's the chance of actually finding one of them? It looks like it's out of stock everywhere.
looks like you will have to call gopowersports and find out when there next shipment is coming in. lt appears that everybody is drinking the Kool-Aid and buying them up for there projects.
here is more info on them how they have been working for other people here. it's kind of tied into with my 340 unit i built for drag racing. part jagganaut was design after the 340 unit. so everybody has just been voicing there opinion on that thread..... thumb1.PNG

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/340-salsbury-series.168096/page-4#post-1244660

also if you can fit a 7inch driven there is a possibility you can get a better belt too from belt palace. all this will cost little more at the end of the day,but you won't be having belt problems or driver problems that normally go along with the 30 series when running a mild and up motor with it.

looks like you will have to call gopowersports and find out when there next shipment is coming in. lt appears that everybody is drinking the Kool-Aid and buying them up for there projects.
here is more info on them how they have been working for other people here. it's kind of tied into with my 340 unit i built for drag racing. part jagganaut was design after the 340 unit. so everybody has just been voicing there opinion on that thread..... View attachment 264353

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/340-salsbury-series.168096/page-4#post-1244660

also if you can fit a 7inch driven there is a possibility you can get a better belt too from belt palace. all this will cost little more at the end of the day,but you won't be having belt problems or driver problems that normally go along with the 30 series when running a mild and up motor with it.
Thank you! I will most definitely look into the 7" I know they make them for this series and I'm going to call gopower tomorrow and see what the deal is with the Juggernaut! I really appreciate the input!

Figured I would jump on and give you guys an update on the overhaul. I was able to swap out the control arm, cam, flywheel, put in the 26 lbs springs and removed the governor and the low oil sensor. I started putting everything back together on the bike I just don't have the throttle linkage. I didn't think of it prior to purchasing all the parts, that I would be removing the governor and I wouldn't have the governor arm linkage available after I pulled it out. I ordered it from OldMiniBikes on Thursday and of course the one I picked out is going to take about 2 weeks. I wasn't going to try to start it today because it was getting late and I knew it would take more time tinkering to get it going, that the sun did not want to provide. But against my better judgement I went back out to the garage and tried to get it going and it starts, just doesn't stay on. I gave it a good 10 - 15 pulls and it sounds good when it is running but I don't think it stayed on for more than 10 seconds. I'll be out there tomorrow to give it some hell. I really don't think this carb is going to work on this set up... I should really just order the 22mm and I think I may just rig something up for a linkage until I get the kit in the mail. Anyone have any suggestions for a quick temporary linkage? Some pictures or a parts list that I can throw together before this linkage comes in the mail? Again, let me thank you all for the comments and all the input you guys provided, I really appreciate it and it was EXTREMELY helpful! You guys are awesome!

***Update***
So, I went outside this morning to see if I can get it going and I got it to turn over and run, just not at a decent idle speed (I'll be working on this later) I hit the throttle on the carburetor and woah... This thing sounds like a MONSTER! I'm officially scared of the mini bike! LOL!!!!

Last edited: