Project Predator Advise

I ran the engine today and I don't know if I'm just being paranoid but that belt on the driver clutch, on the torque converter is higher than the walls of the driver clutch probably about a 1/4" over, at 7300 rpms. Is that normal? Because that is some concerning stuff right there, that close to my leg... Just tell me it's normal.
I should be getting my Mikuni 22mm carburetor in the mail this week and I think this is just going to add to my problems with this belt... Please give me your thoughts! The only option that I think would combat that a bit is the Juggernaut (SHOUT OUT TO DELRAY FOR PUTTING ME ON TO JUGGERNAUT) but they're sold out. Anyone else make a driver that would be able to get to higher RPMs than a GTC Series 30 driver and would be compatible on a 3/4 boar? Thank you in advance!

So, Mikuni 22mm carb is on and it's running like a champ. I was thinking of something though... When you guys put the screws in the connecting rods do you put Loctite on the bolts?

I ran the engine today and I don't know if I'm just being paranoid but that belt on the driver clutch, on the torque converter is higher than the walls of the driver clutch probably about a 1/4" over, at 7300 rpms.
Were you hitting those rpms riding or just free revving it on a stand? My non-hemi 212 has a cam, heavier valve springs, 24mm flatslide carb, all the billet parts, TAV30 w/ a Juggernaut and I struggle to get over 7,000 rpm while actually riding.

If free revving, you don't really want to be doing that with these engines. It's not good for them.

edit: I can't spell

Last edited:
Were you hitting those rpms riding or just free revving it on a stand? My non-hemi 212 has a cam, heaving valve springs, 24mm flatslide carb, all the billet parts, TAV30 w/ a Juggernaut and I struggle to get over 7,000 rpm while actually riding.

If free revving, you don't really want to be doing that with these engines. It's not good for them.
That was on a stand, just to see what it could do briefly once I got everything together. I was riding it I was only at about 4600 max at least what I saw, I didnt want to keep pushing it because it wasn't giving me anything more with that torque converter. I found somewhere that will have the Juggernaut this week, so hopefully I will have it by the weekend see if that helps it any. I'll update the thread to let you know what it does.

I do like the Juggernaut. I'm running somewhere in the 16-17hp range with mine and it handles it no problem.
When you picked up the Juggernaut were you running a regular 30 series driver prior to putting it on? If you were, were you able to see much of a performance change?

Last edited:
No. I had that TAV on a different bike. I'd swapped it out for a clutch so I just had it sitting around. I didn't put it on it's current home until I got the Juggernaut for it. I'm doing a whole new build on that engine now and getting rid of the TAV/Juggernaut to run a 3 disc Bully clutch instead.

I need to find a new minibike now that I want to run that TAV/Juggernaut setup on since it won't have a home shortly. Lol

I was in between the torque converter and putting a clutch on it. I'm a fan of the low end on the torque converter, but now that I put a little work in the engine, I think the low end would be good regardless. I would like a little high end power to it, I'm hoping the Juggernaut remedies the issue of it opening up when the RPMs get up there, or I think I will have to start looking at a clutch again for it. Thanks again for your input, I appreciate it!

SAS289

What is your gearing ratio and what diameter is your rear tire?
He is running 6/1 sprockets turning a 19 inch tire. That ends up at 5.4/1 with the TAV's OD function. Probably not ideal for what he's trying to do. He needs the juggernaut and better gearing.

Last edited:
You also need to factor tire outside diameter. You are putting too much load on the engine for it to rev higher. I would make one change at a time starting with gearing. Can you get a 72 tooth rear sprocket.

SAS289

You also need to factor tire outside diameter. You are putting too much load on the engine for it to rev higher. I would make one change at a time starting with gearing. Can you get a 72 tooth rear sprocket.
He has another thread on this called "Torque converter driver upgrade" in the mini bike section. He may be going with the yellow driver spring and the juggernaut as the next step. I even said "You probably should" knowing that was the direction he wanted to go. But you may be right. Maybe he should do a gearing change first? His decision to make.

Okay, so change the 60t to a 72t and I can leave the 10t sprocket on the jack shaft or should I change that to 12t? Yea, that's a pretty big tire on the Baja. But yes, on my other thread about the torque converter, I'm going to go with the yellow spring and the Juggernaut once I can get one. Deffinatly will look into the hearing, I just haven't done my research on it yet. I really appreciate all of everyone's help with this build.